cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Creo 4 needs this detailing change

jwaffensmith
4-Participant

Creo 4 needs this detailing change

We design and manufacture molds and die assemblies with lots of holes. We use an ordinate scheme to dimension these holes. unfortunately we have holes close to other holes and the leaders don't automatically adjust when they are close so we have to add jogs manually. If we change the hole location the leader needs to be adjusted again. Solid works does it and our seats of Cadkey 97 does it. this would save us gobs of time per year. Who else has this problem?1542977

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
42 REPLIES 42

So to bring this back to the issue at hand....We originally switched from CadKey To Pro-e back in 2000 or so.  at the time the engineers were all pissed that they had to go in and fix all of the ordinate dimension by hand but they knew that parametric solids was the way to go.  We went with Pro since its surfacing interface was way the H better and sooner or later they would fix the ordinate tool. We still open new builds l;ooking for the fix but it never happens.  doesn't seem like it should be that difficult.

To this day I don't see how people think solid works is easy to use.  Every once in a while I will go in and try to make a cube with radii on it and that's as far as I get.  the interface sucks but it does clean up the ordinate scheme fore me...

StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:jwaffensmith)

AHHH, I haven't heard CADKey in a long time. I switched in 1995 or 1996 to Pro/e. It was still 2d or at best 2-1/2D. Lines in space. If every endpoint was perfectly connected, I could get a shaded view but that's as far as it went then.  I designed A LOT of construction equipment with CADKey.

jme
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:StephenW)

Ever use AutoTrol?

StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:jme)

Not really. Never for design. CADAM, then CADKey, then Pro/e related to actual jobs. Some side design work in Solidworks.

I've used it on occasion to make changes to existing stuff. Usually simple text stuff. Used it in school 25+ years ago.

jme
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:StephenW)

heard of but never used CADKey.  

My linear path for CAD was AutoCAD>>AutoTrol>>SolidDesigner/ ME10>>Mechanical Desktop> Inventor>> SolidEdge>>SolidWork>>Creo..

I n my opinion   Inventor and SolidWorks are just about the same.. I swear they steal each other's secrets.. really easy to pickup..

SolidEdge is okay not the best UI.

Mechanical Desktop.. ugly.

dschenken
21-Topaz I

Auto-trol sold both AutoCAD and Pro/Engineer.

http://www.cadhistory.net/09%20Auto-trol%20Technology.pdf

Of note, refering to learning Auto-trol: "While it took users up to six months to become proficient with this command language,..."

Which is pretty typical of every CAD system I've seen learning curves for in the last 35 years.

Did you ever try a hole table?

Yea that's a good work around.  used it but not extensively.  thanks for the reminder.

jme
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:BenLoosli)

I guess what the most aggregating thing is I know how I would model the part at hand using a Inventor or Solidworks, I know the step, but as soon as I start using Creo, the UI and workflow are unintuitive and overwhelming.  So what take 30 minutes to do would take hours upon hours using Creo.   It get so frustrating because if your the user in a small company with no one to ask a questions to and no mentoring or training, it take 1-2 days to design and draw a simple bracket.....

jwaffensmith
4-Participant

I think Solidworks blows and its not intuitive at all. but that's another thread.  I just looked through the v4 pre release and the ordinate scheme remains the same.  The rest of the detailing interface has some nice subtle enhancements but sadly not in the area I care about.

Hi Jeff,

Sorry if I wasn't clear in my initial response, but this enhancement wasn't planned to be part of Creo 4.0.

It came to my attention via this thread (and a separate email conversation between us) much too late to get added to that release.

We will consider it for Creo 5.0, but since we're still not even started on that release that's why I wanted the Idea so we could keep track of progress.

Regards,

Raphael

That's the opposite of what I suggested, which is that because users find Solidworks and Inventor so intuitive, companies don't need to ask because their users required no training. Did anyone ask if you knew how to use MS Windows? They don't because they think it is simple and expected that you would know. They do ask about Solidworks and Inventor -because- they are -not- intuitive and want to avoid the training burden.

It seems like both your and your employer messed up and they should have found someone with the necessary experience and you would go work somewhere that was a better fit, and less frustrating, for the skills you have.

Until then, there are a number of decent books about how Creo works. Either you or your employer should be happy to foot that bill.

For anyone following this conversation, the idea is here:

Ordinate Dimension Fix (auto jogs and re-jog)

Thanks to Jeff for creating it!

Top Tags