cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

Creo Simplified Rep issue on drawings

ptc-5097515
1-Newbie

Creo Simplified Rep issue on drawings

I was a long time WF3 user making the change to Creo after a 2 year stint on NX so I missed WF4. It seems PTC has completely broken the simplified rep functionality as it pertains to drawings in this build. We are using M120 at my work. Here is my situation.

I have an assembly of a machined casting that has an optional configuration I need to show on my drawing. The assembly file structure is as follows:

Top level assembly has a machined casting and two different types of inserts included.

The machined casting model is a .prt with an external merge from our casting model then machined away. The model has two user defined reps based on different hole preperation for one insert location. The bulk of the features in the model is common to both reps, however there are two revolve features at the end of my tree which represent two different hole preperations.

The assembly model has two reps in it as well. Each rep pulls a different rep of the machined casting model and then either includes or excludes an insert.

At my drawing level on the first two sheets every view calls for the "no insert" simplified rep and on the third sheet I have a single view showing the alternate configuration. The view on sheet 3 shows the "with insert" simplied rep. It is structured to be a second copy of a detail view so the sheet three view is just a general, sectioned, partial view.

My assembly reps work perfectly. When I load my user defined reps, the correct machined casting rep loads and the insert either is shown or not shown as expected. My issues start to happen on the drawing.

I cannot create or show annotations in any way from the .prt machined casting model that has simplified reps in it. I expected to not have the dimensions from the feature that has been excluded available to show, but none of the features that are common between both reps can show dimensions. If I create any dimensions, even draft dimensions, when I regen the model they auto "erase" and go into the annotation tab for the view. I have tried deleting segments of my sketches and creating dims at the model level. Even if I unerase from the annotations tab, when I regenerate every dimension on the drawing auto erases.

Another strange thing happens. If I try and create a GD&T callout, only assembly datums are available. I cannot change the pull down menu to my machined casting model as it is greyed out. I hate dimensioning everything twice, one of the great benefits of Pro-E is the ability to "show" dimensions from my model sketches so I do not have to dimension the model twice. The dimensions exist in the model so it is best to show the model dimensions rather than to create drafting dimensions.

I have also tried to structure this assembly a bit differently with the exact same results. My second attempt to get this drawing to work was to just keep the master rep in the machined casting model and I used assembly cuts to handle my insert hole preperations. I had the same weird dimensioning issues, and I was not able to make assembly features specific to an assembly rep. The functionality that exists for part reps to include/exclude features does not appear to be available at the assembly level. I would really hate to have to make this thing a family table, my company usually reserves those for standard hardware and things of that nature. We are just talking about one hole prep here.

What am I doing wrong here? Is dimensioning just completely hosed in Creo? It seems we are going backward in functionality. If we can't show dimensions in from a model anymore in an assembly drawing one of the main perks of Pro is null and void.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 REPLY 1

I forgot to mention the build we are using. We are on Creo Elements 5.0 M120. It is installed on a Windows 7 machine.

Top Tags