cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Creo to Solidworks - Be gone you unholy, Pro/E Imposter

AntonioVillanue
8-Gravel

Creo to Solidworks - Be gone you unholy, Pro/E Imposter

I just was made aware of this thread on PTCUser:

Creo M070 no longer opens SW IMPORTED files...

As a PDMLink admin, my concern is that how do I identify these models in our database that are used in our assemblies? I am not on WF 5 yet so all is well. I have heard about this case before. Solidworks created a feature to export to Pro/E but buggered it up. They did not use supported methods or licensed methods. So these models would trigger Pro/RapidExits and I've seen all the geometry disappear with the slightest modification.

I have opened a TS call. I need a method to scan the system and id these models. Then I can follow the proper procedures on correcting them. I cannot fault my users since there is nothing that tells them the pedigree of the PRT file. If the website says click here for Pro/E model, we take them at their word. Going forward, if the thread is true, it blocks users from these models but it also would block models we have already incorporated into out designs. I would rather get out ahead of the issue instead of playing fireman when assemblies fail.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3

Wow, positive TS experience. Yes, confirmed that M070 will block these models (That's a good thing). As for models that slipped in via an earlier build, those did open in M070. So my concern of assemblies failing in M070+ is resolved. If these models are going to give me grief, they would do no more damage than they do now. I did ask how to ID them. You would have to open the model file up as text and look for SW indicator in the CSYS id. Beyond that, there is no way documented. I still would like to purge them from my system but the concern is much lower now. So, beware of websites that offer multicad format downloads. That Pro/E format model may be more trouble than its worth.

Are you a programmer? You can probably build a scanning tool yourself.

Windows Notepad / Wordpad can open files up to several megabytes as a crude sort of hex editor.

hunting-for-csys.JPG

"AutoIT" is particularly friendly towards Windows for simple IT administration tasks:

http://www.autoitscript.com/site/autoit/

1. Get directory tree to scan

2. Open each file

3. Scan for "csys_id"

4. Get next couple bytes and look for the SW signature

5. Write out a log of each file found that has the signature

Its not that big of a deal now since one they are saved as Wildfire files, it will open them. It would be easier to wait for the call from engineers and fix it then. I am a programmer. Thank you for your steps. BTW, do you know the SolidWorks signature to look for? I would certainly do it the way you described.

Top Tags