cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Cross Section Problems

Kevin76
6-Contributor

Cross Section Problems

I have an existing drawing that I'm making a change to, completely unrelated to the cross section, which was created using one of the default datum planes. As I go to the drawing, the section view no longer looks like a section view and no cross hatching is displayed, but when I go to view properties, it still shows the cross section as a valid option. From this view, there are two side projection views, both will display the cross section arrows bisecting my assembly. If I create another projection view off either of the previous projection views, I can create good looking section view from the new view, but this view is mirrored to how it should be and isn't a valid option because of our standardization of layout. So, now I know my view is okay, relatively. Next, in the model I try redefining the cross section, which the view manager tells me is an invalid option because "redefine" is greyed out, all I can choose is Dim Values and Hatching. So, in the view manager, I set the cross section to active, then I click the display button and then choose flip. Looks good, so I clik ok and Done/Return. Now I regenerate, then I verify the family table and finally save, total process of about an hour and a half. So, when I go back to the drawing and regenerate and/or update all views, nothing changes. When I close down my session and start it back up, the cross section is back to the orientation before I flipped it and then saved. Okay, sorry for the long description, but does anybody have any idea why the cross section has flipped on me, the first time before I opened the drawing and after I manually fliped it and saved, but it flipped back? Also, why I can't redefine it so that it is consistant with the rest of the assembly drawings from the family table? Any intelligent suggestion(s) would be greatly appreciated.
This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3

I have noticed my section views look a bit off when I switched from left to right side projection, or vice-versa. Right click on the section arrows of the parent view and select Flip Material Removal Side. This will update the arrows to show the changed projection direction and clean up the section view. Hope this helps. Rodney WF3 M140

Finally got a chance to try that and in my drawing, I don't get an option to "flip material removal side" when I highlight the arrows or the section view. I'm running Wildfire 3.0. I looked a bit more today and I created a new cross section in the model, activated it to make sure it was right, which it was. In the drawing, I created all new views, tried assigning my new section view and the same thing is happening. It is almost acting like the section view is 1st Angle Projection while the drawing options are set to 3rd Angle Projection. Anyone have any ideas on that?
Kevin76
6-Contributor
(To:Kevin76)

Okay, nevermind, I got it. Instead of right clicking on the "arrows" of the parent view, you have to select the cross hatching in the parent view, or the section view, then right click and select "flip material removal side". This only works if you can see cross hatching in the section view though. Thanks for leading me to the water trough.
Top Tags