cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Cross section in 3D environment

MauroStefanovic
4-Participant

Cross section in 3D environment

Hi to all,

i created a cross section in 3D environment. Can i use it in drawing with same hatches and included/exclude components?

Thank you for help.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
14 REPLIES 14

Capture.PNG

It seems i can't add 3D sections on 2D drawings...

I think you don't have any 3D sections. You have a 2D (planar) section

Click the "+" button to add a section to the view.

Mauro,

my suggestion is ... do a simple test to be sure that Creo works fine.

1.] create an assembly named TEST containing two simple models (eg. CYLINDER1, CYLINDER2)

2.] create a planar crossection A in TEST assembly in Assembly mode

3.] create a drawing named TEST and put the assembly named TEST in the drawing

4.] place a view with crosssection (it is visible as 2D crosssection in view properties window) into the drawing - orient it properly crosssection plane must be parallel with the display

If the test is successfull then you have to find the difference between it and your real drawing.

Martin Hanak

Martin Hanák

Sorry Martin, i was too short in explanation of my trouble (i'm bad in english). I already did your test. My 2D cross section is not equal to 3D cross section. Included and excluded components in 3D aren't inclueded and excluded as in 2D and i have to define them in 2D drawing. Another question is: why option in red is grey? Is grey for any orientation of view. Capture.PNG

The help files provded some understanding on when this option is available.

You need to use the "zone" definition in the xsection dialog in the model.

Once you create one of these, it will always be available in your drawing view.

There is no preview, and it is a very confusong dialog to understand what you will end up with.

A little practice and you'll have what you need.

http://help.ptc.com/creo_hc/creo30_pma_hc/usascii/index.html#page/pma/detail/section_create_3d.html

Thank you so much Antonius, i understood zone sections but options like include/exclude component aren't available. I try to change offset cross section in 3D but nothing changes in 2D. Anyway fortunately i have at maximum 30 components on cross sections. Sometimes is difficult to select manually components to be excluded for cross sections in 2D. I know tricks to work easy in assembly drawings, but i hate assembly drawings.. 😉

There are some serious issues and limitations with making nice 3D sections. I resort to a next level assembly with an assembly cut through the parts I want. There, I can also use colors to show the sectioned faces rather than a hatch that may or may not be accurately displayed. This method is so much more powerful that I don't even look back.

When I create a planar 2D cross section in my assembly and exclude a component and then go to the drawing and add a view (default orientation in my case) with the 2D section specified, it uses the excluded component as I specified in the model.

I don't understand what the 3D cross section at all but I think I get the result you are looking for.

2-d+planer.jpg

2d-planer-d.jpg

The most common requirement is to remove a single quadrant cube from a part or assembly.

The problem with offset sections is that is must go through the part in both directions.

The problem with 3D section (Zones) is that it removes the wrong half.

This should be easy to do but seems extraordinarily difficult to achieve using sections.

Now put that in a drawing with cross hatching

(yes, this is a cut; Pro|WorkAround^tm 1,087,194)

display_section.PNG

This is what I came up with using Zone... but in the drawing, I couldn't change the cross hatch pattern.

I'm afraid we might be defining 3D sections two different ways. Sections and view orientation are independent. Offset and planar sections can be displayed in any view orientation. Limitations are only presented when views are projected and the section is not compatible for some reason.

display_section_II.PNG

You're right Stephen. For me section 2D corresponds to 3D section first time. Then, if i update 3D section, 2D section doesn't change. Also if i delete view and recreate section (Creo 2.0 M120).

I agree, the cross section include/exclude don't seem to be parametric. Once it's on the drawing, it seem to be a snapshot in time.

I use the exlude 2D sections a lot and it is dynamic.

Add a part, exclude it, and it updates on the drawing.

Remove excluded components, and they do update in the drawing.

You might have to regenerate the drawing to get this to update.

Also don't forget that you can exclude components on drawings such as covers and such to expose details.

hide_component_in_drawing.PNG

Top Tags