Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom BOM Balloons and Layers

SOLVED
Highlighted
Garnet

Custom BOM Balloons and Layers

I am using CREO 3.0 M090.

I want to create a Custom BOM Balloon, which I can do.

In the custom BOM Balloon I want it to  display a model parameter, which I can do.

The issue is I want to circle or ellipse that I use to define my custom BOM Balloon to be hidden.

I created the geometry and text for my custom BOM Balloon in a drawing.  I placed the circle or ellipse on a hidden layer.

I then created a new symbol and selected the drawing geometry.  The circle or ellipse shows up in my symbol definition window.  I save this symbol in Windchill.

I am going down this path so that I take advantage of the Merge Balloons option in the Table tab.

I want to be able to Balloon several parts and then use the Merge Balloons command to remove all leaders except for a single leader.

When I take this custom BOM Balloon and use it in another drawing the circle or ellipse is visible, even though I have the same hidden layer.

Am I missing anything?

Thanks,

John

Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Custom BOM Balloons and Layers

@jforsyth wrote:

Martin,

Good question.

Using the default BOM Balloons I can merge several balloons together which removes all of the leaders except for a single leader.

I am trying to duplicate that by creating a Custom BOM Balloon that displays a model Parameter instead of the rpt.index.

Since I have to have some kind of circular element in order to create a custom BOM Balloon, I don't want the circular element to be visible. 

If I can get this to happen then I can have custom BOM Balloons without the circular element displayed and still take advantage of the merge feature.

I am trying to be able to automatically create something like the attached pic while still using the BOM Balloon features.

I hope this explains what I am trying to accomplish.

Hi,

if I understand you well you use circle to enable users to position merged balloons properly.

I think you can replace circle with very small lines located at proper places in symbol definition. Because they are "almost invisible", you do not have to hide them.

Example:

invisible.png

Martin Hanák
6 REPLIES 6

I have spoken with PTC about this in the past. It is not currently possible to hide the circle. The best you can do is to make it really small.

Hi,

please can you explain why do you add a circle into custom BOM symbol and then hide it ?

Martin Hanák

Martin,

Good question.

Using the default BOM Balloons I can merge several balloons together which removes all of the leaders except for a single leader.

I am trying to duplicate that by creating a Custom BOM Balloon that displays a model Parameter instead of the rpt.index.

Since I have to have some kind of circular element in order to create a custom BOM Balloon, I don't want the circular element to be visible. 

If I can get this to happen then I can have custom BOM Balloons without the circular element displayed and still take advantage of the merge feature.

I am trying to be able to automatically create something like the attached pic while still using the BOM Balloon features.

@jforsyth wrote:

Martin,

Good question.

Hi,

if I understand you well you use circle to enable users to position merged balloons properly.

I think you can replace circle with very small lines located at proper places in symbol definition. Because they are "almost invisible", you do not have to hide them.

Example:

invisible.png

Martin Hanák

Martin,

thanks for the suggestion.

I will give it a try

John

Martin,

That seems to work.

I will have to play with the length of the lines to have it look like we want.

Thanks for your help