cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Data exchange information of file types.

jesterphatt
1-Newbie

Data exchange information of file types.

Below is part of a email interchange where I am trying to enlighten some of the sales force to the different file types people ask for in data exchange (ACME Engineering --> ACME Sales --> Baker Sales --> Baker Engineering...

WhatI would like is a Forum review of my statement and would welcome any further insight into the data exchange habits of companiesa and how they approach this topic.

We like most would like to try to hang on to as much proprietary CAD info in this translation

-----email ebody-------

Hello Steve,
Pro E, Solid works, AutoCAD 3d all have their own native file formats as well as the ability to save files that are more generic 3D information

IGES and STP files are 2 common 3D files that can be read by a number of software’s

Reading into the Customers statement that he can accept ProE Files... meaning I can export a Neutral file for him.
Software Inside information – a neutral file can be created out of ProE that dumbs down the file to make reverse engineering more difficult

So I will get a neutral file and an IGES file… if the Neutral doesn’t work the IGES will… I would send the Neutral file first
Neutral file is a newer file format that has come along in the recent years to specifically address proprietary information metadata. So there is a chance depending on the end users software package he may not be able to read the Neutral file.

-----email ebody------- end

Any opinions, comments or concerns?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
0 REPLIES 0
Top Tags