cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Datum point tag in exported step file

STEVEG
21-Topaz I

Datum point tag in exported step file

I have a user that is trying to do some custom import/export programming. He has a part model that has some datum points and exported it to a SETP file. After importingthe STEP fileback into Pro/E the tag for the point does not come with it. The point is there but no tag. Is there any way to get the tag to display along with the point?

Steve G
This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3
STEVEG
21-Topaz I
(To:STEVEG)

Well, no responses what-so-ever.

Steve G
mlocascio
4-Participant
(To:STEVEG)

None? That's not good. Do you have PTC support?

Michael P. Locascio

Steve,

Although the STEP standards have had an entity called CARTESIAN_POINT for a long time, these points have been used to define, for example, vertices of curves and surface boundaries in addition to explicit points. ProE has exported datum points using this general form and, of course, re-imports them too. This isin spite of the fact thatthe STEP standard did not provide vendors with an explicit method to tell if a CARTESIAN_POINT was intended to be used as a building block for other geometry or as an explicit entity or how to carry a label in the STEP file.That's why you are seeing the points but not the labels. Recent activity among standards teams and vendors in the STEP CAx-Implementors Forum have led to the testing STEP processors that support the explicit use of points (with labels) as well as coordinate systems, axes, and planes (also with labels). PTC has been actively involved in that CAx testing activity and Pro/ENGINEER will be able to read and write STEP files with all these datum entities supported (including their labels) as of Wildfire 5.0 (F000). The following configs are required for export only. If the data is in the STEP file, it is imported.

step_export_format AP214_IS | AP203_E2
step_out_suppl_geom yes | no (default)

Regards,

Asa Trainer

PTC Product Management

In Reply to Steve Galayda:

I have a user that is trying to do some custom import/export programming. He has a part model that has some datum points and exported it to a SETP file. After importingthe STEP fileback into Pro/E the tag for the point does not come with it. The point is there but no tag. Is there any way to get the tag to display along with the point?

Steve G
Top Tags