cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Decals for a Scientific Calculator? (Looking for sources)

ptc-5437860
1-Newbie

Decals for a Scientific Calculator? (Looking for sources)

Hey all, and thanks for taking the time to read my question.

If you were looking for lettering decals where would you look?

I just need to do the decals on my calculator project I was assigned however, the default ones do not suit my project. (It's a scientific calculator, by the way)

If I wouldn't be able to find any decals, anyone have any ideas as to how to proceed? I was thinking of just using the TEXT tool while extruding and making the dimension small enough that it's unnoticable, however it's quite tedious and I'm looking for a large amount of buttons. However, using this process it's also quite easy as the only symbols I would need are exponential symbols, which I can probably replace with a "^" sign.

Ideas/Opinons? Thanks!

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 REPLY 1

Hello Ian and welcome to the forum.

You are on the right track to use graphics rather than geometry. It is much more efficient on the system.

Decals can be made with an alpha channel using the image tool in Creo (or older Pro|E versions). I would suggest an application that gives you all the symbols you need for the project. There has to be a font that has all these. If nothing else where you can capture all the symbols with the Character Map. Maybe a calculator app? Or even PTC's free Mathcad Prime 2.0 app? Something where you can easily screen-cap each symbol at the right size and scale. Once you've collected the images, you can apply an alpha channel with the Image tool so only the symbol remains once you apply it to the key surface.

It is a bit of work, and once you are done, I hope you can share it here. A symbol library like that could be very useful. Maybe you can make a Document on the process if you have time.

If you do find these characters in a TTF, you could also load this into the Creo font folder and actually call up the characters in a sketch. You will need to know how to access the extended font set but it can be done this way if that is preferred.

Top Tags