cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Detailing - Faking dimensions

ptc-2288583
1-Newbie

Detailing - Faking dimensions

Good morning/afternoon/evening all.

Is there an easy way to fake a linear dimension in Detailing (WF5)?

We have a component that consistently swells in molding and the manufacturing facility wants to change the print nominal to match this condition.

I do not want to change the model because two or three years from now when we replace the tooling, everybody will forget the fake and build the tool to the changed model.

Thanks in advance.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
6 REPLIES 6

Type in @o before the dimension callout in the dimension properties box. @o@d

Eric Mills

Design and Project manager

http://www.rapidoconsulting.com

eric.mills@rapidoconsulting.com

StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:ptc-2288583)

I think if I was doing it I would simply add text to the dimension. Something like XX.XX (SWELL DIMENSIONXX.XX) or something to that extent instead of changing the dimension and risking some sort of catastrophe in the years to come.

Eric,

The first question is why does manufacturing wantto change the dimension? If this is for inspection there can be a dimension or note added to specify the acceptable dimensional range for the part. We are going through some similar issues and the quality department wants to check our plastic parts to the dimensions on the part drawing that are intended to make the mold - NOT TO INSPECT THE PART. The part drawing needs to be dead on to make the mold where the acceptable part can have a larger tolerance range. This should be on a separate drawing or indicated as an inspection dimension and NOT change the part for the important specific reason you mentioned. Good Luck

Mark A. Peterson
Sr Product Engineer
Igloo Products Corp
-

Sorry minor mistake on my reply, should be @o###. Of course some point out this can cause major problems down the road and I'm always hesitant to tell anyone that I work with how to do this. It would be better to include a note below dimension.

Eric Mills

Design and Project manager

http://www.rapidoconsulting.com

eric.mills@rapidoconsulting.com

We have used the nominal as way to keep design intent and then increased
our tolerances to match what is actually being produced. If you do fake
the dimension and use the @O then you should also underline the
dimension to show that is it not to scale per ANSI Y 14.5.

We also take a second step to let people know that it is a overwritten
dimension by change the dimension color to a green, and that ay we can
look at the electronic print and know right away that this is not a
parametric dimension.

Sincerely,

Rick L.
Design Draftsman: Husky Corporation

We change the color to grey. It prints the same but the detailer gets a cue.

We also change the color to grey in fake BOM balloons

Regards

Daniel García

De: Rick LyBarger, Jr. [
Top Tags