cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Dimension Round Off

wfalco
15-Moonstone

Dimension Round Off

All,

In CREO 3.0 M020...

I have a part in a drawing. I rounded down the decimals in the drawing. When I return to the model, the dimensions are rounded down per attachment "dim1" in red. In attachment "dim2", I click the dimension and it shows it's unrounded value. First of all.....the dimensions are in red. If I regenerate, they remain red. I guess I am used to the round off forcing the dimensions to be finalized per attachment "dim 1" after a regenerate in say WF5, the last release I worked in. What's the deal? Have I changed them or not? I like the idea of a show dimensions that are allowed to be shown 2 place on the drawing but remain it's logical 3-4 place in the model I think. However I imagine it would get into "what is your true tolerance intent?" Confused. Maybe it's too early still?

WayneF 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:wfalco)

Color schemes can be different but I suspect the red dimension are "locked" sketcher dimensions. 'Locked' as in they can't be changed by dragging.

Rounding, well, my suggestion is to look at the properties in the drawing and see if the rounding box is checked.

PTC definitely changed the settings so rounding became default at one point. There are config options to control this

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
StephenW
23-Emerald II

Color schemes can be different but I suspect the red dimension are "locked" sketcher dimensions. 'Locked' as in they can't be changed by dragging.

Rounding, well, my suggestion is to look at the properties in the drawing and see if the rounding box is checked.

PTC definitely changed the settings so rounding became default at one point. There are config options to control this

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:StephenW)

PTC screwed their customers by making rounding the default!!!!

What I model to and what I dimension to on the drawing can be different for a variety of reasons. The drawing should NEVER change the model unless I want it to. In my case, I would modify the model first and then let the drawing fall where the model drives it.

wfalco
15-Moonstone
(To:BenLoosli)

Ben,

Yes, See my reply to Stephen. Thanks!

Wayne

wfalco
15-Moonstone

Yeah ...looks like the check box for rounding does impact the outcome. I kinda like this. I think? So dimensions are show and I can control the places on the drawing....and the model remains as it was. However - I am getting the red dimensions. I went into the model and selected them all - then unlocked - then regenerated. There does not seem to be a consequence in doing this? They are now blue. I'll have to see how this plays out. Thanks for the suggestions Stephen!

StephenW
23-Emerald II

I have conflicting opinions of rounding but I really want it to default to not rounded and then, if I want to, I can change a specific dimension to be rounded.

I believe I have my system set that way now but sometimes it's hard to tell with the mix of old and new parts/drawings.

Lock dimensions are ok. If they are not locked and they are strong dimension, you'll be fine. There was a pro/e-creo release at some point that made accidental dragging a problem but that has since been fixed. I rarely find a need to lock a dimension but I have seen others that lock everything.

wfalco
15-Moonstone

I hear you. It has me thinking as well.

You can uncheck the box and it will round. Then your stuck with .1875 being .19 for example. You'd have to manually re-establish it at .1875.

One thing I did not check....if it changes the model while doing it in the drawing. This does make it a good thing if someone is detailing the drawing, and the model is locked. Seems like a win win?

But - there is always the places vs the tol intent. Sometimes things are what they are to be symmetrically correct.

StephenW
23-Emerald II

Yes, it definitely changes the model on a shown dimension. So if you wanted your model to be .1875 and you change the drawing to 2 places (not rounded), your model is now .19.

For a locked model (not locked dimension), you wouldn't be able to change the .1875 shown dimension on the drawing. The shown dimension belongs to the model which is locked.

I like having rounding options, I just want to make sure I understand exactly what is happening and what is default AND that it doesn't change from release to release.

wfalco
15-Moonstone

To recap my findings:

If you check the box in the drawing (which it is by default - or by config?) then it won't change .1875 to .19. It will lock the dimensions. You can unlock them and all is the same. So the drawing seems like it can do "show dimensions" as long as box is checked. When you save the drawing it will also save the model. However - the model decimal places stay intact.

StephenW
23-Emerald II

Config option round_displayed_dim_values by default is YES (for newly created dimension) so the box is automatically checked.

Correct, you can change the decimal places on a dimension and it won't physically change the model dimension.

You've got it all figured out...

Top Tags