cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Dimension text color changes when dimension's bounds are altered - what settings control this?

psobejko
12-Amethyst

Dimension text color changes when dimension's bounds are altered - what settings control this?

I have a part that has a hole with size of 12 H7.  If I leave the 12mm diameter dimension at "nominal", then on the part's drawing, the text is yellow (the color of the "Letter" entities - as expected).

dimension_bounds_color_question.png

However, when I modify the model so as to have this dimension assume its "middle" value (via the model->analysis->tolerance analysis in the Design Study group->dimension boundaries->set to "middle"), then the text color changes to this peachy color shown in the screenshot.  This color is not in any of our color settings as far I can tell...

And I don't mind it being different because it draws attention to a special fit, but it comes out so pale that on PDF prints it is not visible...

Regenerating / updating draft / etc... does not have an effect...  I can make this peachy dimension have a different color (including the yellow "letter" color) - if I manually apply it to the text style, but I'm hoping there is a setting that will do this automatically?

2 REPLIES 2

I run a customized color scheme where dim's are yellow.

I get red annotation if the value has changed and requires regeneration.

I get a purple color when I open a drawing and the dimension losts it's references (driven dims).

Are you sure you are not creating an issue with the ISO fit tolerance method and the actual size you want the part to represent?  Seems to me that a shaft-basis hole will be based on the size you specify and that adding the .009 is causing a conflict.  I don't use this method for ISO tolerancing so my knowledge is limited in the intent of the S/W.

Yeah, looked more into it and I figure this is not caused by the ISO fit; it's caused by the modification of the dimension boundaries.

I verified this by making a simple square protrusion and assigning it a width of 10mm (+3mm / + 2mm).  Note that the "nominal" dimension is 10mm, so measuring the model shows 10mm width.

If someone was to use this 3D model to "program" their CNC machine the part would be made out of spec - that is my reason for adjusting the dimension boundaries to "middle" - because if I do that, then my model will now be 12.5mm wide.

Anyway, at this point on the drawing the dimension is shown in this unknown peach color.

In my color scheme, it is not the same as the color of "dimensions that need to be updated by regeneration" or "dimensions that have lost their references".

Additional note: this also has nothing to do with the "strange" +/+ tolerancing scheme - I tried the same test with 10mm (+1mm / - 0.1mm)  - middle value is 10.45mm - and comes out peachy...  Oh well, I think right now I think I'll just live with it.

Additional note #2 (& #3): if I set the dimension to be "upper" value - the color changes to gray-blue;

if I set the dimension to "lower" value - it changes to white.

So there is some kind of a color scheme that is used to inform you about the state of the model.  This is pretty neat as this color-coding would be useful in tolerance stack-up analysis.  I'll dig more into it and see if I can find how to tweak the colors.

Top Tags