cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Dimensioning a Flattened Harness with Breaks

ScottPearson
3-Visitor

Dimensioning a Flattened Harness with Breaks

WF 3.0
Date Code M210

I created a nice 3-D routed cable in Pro/CABLE. The cable has five legs. The legs vary in length from 6" to 117".

Next, I flattened the harness (i.e. .mfg file). After flattening, I inserted breaks on three of the longer legs (from the Cable MFG menu, choose Flatten>Break>Insert). It worked great.

Next, I created a .drw and created a view based upon the flattened .mfg file which contains the breaks. It worked great. The view of my harness fits nicely on my sheet at 1:4 scale. Life is good.

However, when I dimension the legs of the flattened harness which have breaks, the dimensions are shorter than the true model length. Naturally, this is a bummer.(FYI: The legs which do not have breaks dimension true to theirmodel length.)

To overcome the false (too short) dimension, I manually override the dimension text and use the number I know to be the true length of the leg. But I despise the practice of overriding dimension values. There goes "parametric associativity" right out the window.

Two questions:

1. Is everyone else out there in Pro/CABLE land having the same result using flattened harnesses with breaks as dimensioned drawing views?

2. Does anyone know of a better workaround beside a manual override of the dimension text?

A comment for PTC:

What's up with the shortened dimensions on legs with breaks? Why can't they dimension true to the 3-D model like a Broken View does of a mechanical part? (Yes, I realize that harnesses and mechanical parts are different animals, but the paradigm for creating drawing views that are associative to a 3-D model should be sacred.)

Thanks for feedback.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
0 REPLIES 0
Top Tags