cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Dragging Multiple Drawing Objects in Creo Parametric 2.0

JordanThomas
1-Newbie

Dragging Multiple Drawing Objects in Creo Parametric 2.0

Hello,

I have been reformatting a lot of drawings lately and I was wondering if there is a way to select and drag/move multiple objects. Lets say that I wanted to move two views and a note, I know I can relate the note to a view and than align the views, but I haven't found a way to just select all three and drag them together.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Pick one view. Hold the Ctrl key on the keyboard.

Select the second view then select the note.

To move all three objects select the note to move and the views move with it.

If you selec the view to move then only the views move.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Hello Mr. Sundar,

It would be quite helpful if you could post any tips here, so that all community users can see them. Also, I must add that I do not think it is in line with forum rules to provide private information or solicite out-of-forum contact.

Thank You,

Jordan Thomas

Jordan I hate to say it, but I don't think there is a way to just select multiple items to move, like you can in AutoCAD or other drafting programs. In all of my years in Creo I have never been able to do that. There are some exceptions, but for the most part you just can't select multiple items then move them all.

Pick one view. Hold the Ctrl key on the keyboard.

Select the second view then select the note.

To move all three objects select the note to move and the views move with it.

If you selec the view to move then only the views move.

Thank you. I'm kind of wondering how I didn't stumble across this earlier (I must not have tried using the note to move the views ).

This seems like such a strange way to implement a very basic feature of a graphical user interface...but at least it works. It appears you can indeed drag any N-number of objects of any type so long as the one that you select the drag handle on is a note. This even worked with a collection of views, tables, and a note (the note's drag handle still needs to be used).

Now the one thing that isn't working for me is dragging multiple views by using the drag handle on a selected view. If I select the drag handle on anything except for a note, it only lets me move that specific object, interestingly without deselecting the other objects. But at least there's a simple work around: create a small note (maybe one that reads "trailer hitch" or "tow truck") -> use the note to move around the views that I need to move. Awesome.

"This seems like such a strange way to implement a very basic feature of a graphical user interface"

Exactly!

But are we all really surprised that PTC didn't implement that?

That is very interesting that a move only for views doesn't work. Weird. Oh wait. It's PTC.

Yeah...I shouldn't really be surprised. I've been using MathCAD for years and there's very little about that software that makes sense. Why should anything else PTC makes?

If I could say "thank you" 1,000 times to this comment, I would do it!  The inability to move more than one table around on a drawing at once was baffling to me, and when I came across this article this morning, I actually got angry that i had to sign into my PTC account, only to find out that it "wasn't intended Creo functionality":

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article?n=CS196400

Table support in Creo drawings is one of the clunkiest parts of the software, but being able to now move around a group of tables on a drawing (AND any notes/symbols that are placed in it) has made my day complete.

Top Tags