cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Drawing Dependent Layer settings...

pdkoren
1-Newbie

Drawing Dependent Layer settings...

Is there a way to easily set ALL views layers to DRAWING DEPENDENT? I have inherited a gaggle of drawings with odd layer definitions set on views. I assume there was some logic for this at some point, but there have been lots of changes and it would just be easier to start from square one. Sadly, layers are not really controlled here so it makes things that much harder. What prompted this question is a couple of drawings were a hex nut will not show up in views. It's in the assembly, clear as day.Assembly has about 100 layers and12 views. Lots of components are "released", including this nut, so I have no option to change them at all. I tried individually setting all the view to be drawing dependent, but still no nut. Why is the drawing dependent selection not "GRAYED OUT" and unselectable once the view is set that way? How can you tell if a view is drawing dependent or not? Seems like as soon as I select the view on the layer tree (active layer object selection)it immediately changes to be independently set. So, then you have to tell it, again in this case, that NO, you don't want it to do that, you want it to stay drawing dependent. This can't be right? What am I missing?

thanks in advance...

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
2 REPLIES 2
rreifsnyder
13-Aquamarine
(To:pdkoren)

I plan to put in an enhancement request so that we can perhaps get a visual signal that a view has independent layer settings. I'm thinking something like having the view border show up a different color when you go into layers if they are not drawing dependent. Our site deals with drawings from other people all the time and it is a constant battle.

Rob Reifsnyder
Mechanical Design Engineer/ Producibility Engineer / Components Engineer / Pro/E SME / Pro/E Librarian
[LM_Logo_Tag_RGB_NoR_r06]

One good reply from Donald Sechuk: If you click onthe arrow for ACTIVE LAYER OBJECT SELECTION then all the views are surrounded by dashed line boxes. Views with unique layer setting will be a different color box from those with DRAWING DEPENDENT setting.

Thanks... at least this is a nice way to see what's what on drawings I didn't create.

Top Tags