cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Dual Dimension Brackets & TrueType Fonts

TomU
23-Emerald IV

Dual Dimension Brackets & TrueType Fonts

A while back I converted everything over to use PTC's new Arial WGL TrueType font.  Some of my users are very unhappy with the change.  They don't like how the TrueType fonts make everything look bold compared to the old line fonts, especially the brackets in dual dimensions.

TrueType Font Brackets.PNG

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make the (automatically created) dual dimension brackets not look so bold while still using TrueType fonts?  There are some distinct benefits that come with TrueType fonts and I'd prefer to not lose those just for these brackets.  Thanks.

8 REPLIES 8
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:TomU)

So I figured out why the brackets look bold.  The font for the brackets is 2.5 times larger and therefore 2.5 times thicker than the characters they're surrounding.

TrueType Font Brackets 2.PNG

It would be nice if there were actual characters for double height brackets instead of increasing the text height of the single height characters to make them the height of two rows.

JonasC
4-Participant

Hey Tom,

as you know, I was also struggling with bold looking fonts (however in a different way).

I was curious what benefits you see, coming with the TrueType fonts.

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:JonasC)

@JonasC wrote:

I was curious what benefits you see, coming with the TrueType fonts.

Sorry for the late reply.  Two benefits - file size and symbols.

1. The file size of a PDF with lots of text is much smaller when TrueType fonts are used vs. when line fonts are used or the fonts are stroked.  This file size impacts both publishing speed and storage space required (in Windchill.)  The file size difference can also be significant enough to allow one file to be email-able and the other not.
  2. The new ArialWGL TrueType font includes a bunch of new symbols that are not available when using the old line fonts.
TomU
23-Emerald IV

This actually gets worse.  The brackets overlap the GD&T feature control frames too.

Dual Dimension Brackets - Plus Minus.PNG

Tech support claims this is 'working to spec.' and to create a product idea.  I'm pushing back...

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

That doesn't look like it is working to spec, unless those are Coke bottle "specs".

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:Dale_Rosema)

Remember, 'working to spec.' doesn't mean it works in a way most people would expect it to, rather there is nothing in the spec. that says it shouldn't work this way.  Huge difference!

Since there is nothing in the spec. that says the brackets can't be extra bold and overlap other stuff, it's effectively 'working to spec.'!  Ugh.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Working to whose spec?

If PTC claims it is 'working to spec' ask them for a copy of the spec it is working to!

A PTC internal document, while a spec to PTC, does not make it a universally accepted, standard committee approved by industry spec.

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:BenLoosli)

A PTC internal document, while a spec to PTC, does not make it a universally accepted, standard committee approved by industry spec.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they don't work to those...  Smiley Frustrated

Top Tags