cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Dwg Basic Dimension Quantity In or Out of Box

StephanKlein
1-Newbie

Dwg Basic Dimension Quantity In or Out of Box

In a drawing, is there an -easy- way to have the quantity for a basic (boxed) dimension shown outside the box? I realize you could add the qty as a separate text but am looking for a simple button flip or a config option? 3X [1.200]---- [3X 1.200]----
This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
12 REPLIES 12

In the properties box try 3X @[1.200@]. I don't think there is a config setting that controls this.
DELETEME
1-Newbie
(To:Kevin)

"Stephan Klein" wrote:

In a drawing, is there an -easy- way to have the quantity for a basic (boxed) dimension shown outside the box? I realize you could add the qty as a separate text but am looking for a simple button flip or a config option? 3X [1.200]---- [3X 1.200]----

Kevin
10-Marble
(To:DELETEME)

I'm not sure it's a requirement that the 3X has to be within the control frame unless I missed something in the reading of the standard. There is an example where the number of times is outside the control frame although most have it within the control frame. We are running versions 3 and 4 and each behaves differently. WF3 default has the number of times within the control frame and the WF4 default has it outside. Is there a reason why one would show the number of times outside versus inside?
DELETEME
1-Newbie
(To:Kevin)

"Kevin Demarco" wrote:

I'm not sure it's a requirement that the 3X has to be within the control frame unless I missed something in the reading of the standard. There is an example where the number of times is outside the control frame although most have it within the control frame. We are running versions 3 and 4 and each behaves differently. WF3 default has the number of times within the control frame and the WF4 default has it outside. Is there a reason why one would show the number of times outside versus inside?

Kevin
10-Marble
(To:DELETEME)

I'm not trying to criticise you or your understanding of where it's suppose to be positioned. I'm trying to get your perspective on when the number of times would be positioned outside the control frame and why, since you have Geometric Dimensioning Tolerancing experince, or do you think there is an error. The examples I refered to are from the Reaffirmed 2004 version of ASME Y14.5M-1994 in 4.5.12 (picture on page 71) and 6.5.1 (picture on page 166). For both of these the number of times is outside the control frame of a basic dimension. Is there a reason for it being outside, is it an error, As far as ProE goes I created a model that had the same diameter pattern of holes in WF3 and WF4. The dimension was a shown dimension and the number of times was added in the Dimension Properties dialog box in both versions however it displays differently. In WF3 the number of times is inside the control frame but in WF4 it is outside the control frame when Basic is selected under the display section of the dialog box. As far as I can tell the settings that apply to both versions are the same.

If this is done frequently the easiest would be to create mapkeys for 2X, 3X, and so on using @[ @] to create the basic dimension box. The current posititon of Y14.5 ASME Y14.5-2009 adopted 9 February 2009 Section 1.9.5 Repetitive Features or Dimensions "....X may be placed either inside or outside basic dimension frame." "_X" inside or outside the box, wise to be consistent with all inside or all outside. There would be no question as to where the number of times is applied if it is inside the basic dim box. Maybe outside the box could have been added to the standard to accomodate CAD software? Regards-

"Kevin Demarco" wrote:

I'm not trying to criticise you or your understanding of where it's suppose to be positioned. I'm trying to get your perspective on when the number of times would be positioned outside the control frame and why, since you have Geometric Dimensioning Tolerancing experince, or do you think there is an error. The examples I refered to are from the Reaffirmed 2004 version of ASME Y14.5M-1994 in 4.5.12 (picture on page 71) and 6.5.1 (picture on page 166). For both of these the number of times is outside the control frame of a basic dimension. Is there a reason for it being outside, is it an error, As far as ProE goes I created a model that had the same diameter pattern of holes in WF3 and WF4. The dimension was a shown dimension and the number of times was added in the Dimension Properties dialog box in both versions however it displays differently. In WF3 the number of times is inside the control frame but in WF4 it is outside the control frame when Basic is selected under the display section of the dialog box. As far as I can tell the settings that apply to both versions are the same.

"Fitzgerald Chris" wrote:

If this is done frequently the easiest would be to create mapkeys for 2X, 3X, and so on using @[ @] to create the basic dimension box. The current posititon of Y14.5 ASME Y14.5-2009 adopted 9 February 2009 Section 1.9.5 Repetitive Features or Dimensions "....X may be placed either inside or outside basic dimension frame." "_X" inside or outside the box, wise to be consistent with all inside or all outside. There would be no question as to where the number of times is applied if it is inside the basic dim box. Maybe outside the box could have been added to the standard to accomodate CAD software? Regards-

ISO, good call. Made me chuckle, the plunger, remember when I first saw that and was "what?" where are my dashes, because I could always place a datum with the @[ where I wanted it. They are slowly integrating me though I fear. mm

"Kevin Demarco" wrote:

Thanks everyone for the workaround. CM - Did you work with Foster at the big red H? I've heard he worked at our Minneapolis division. For what its worth, our viewpoint is the BASIC dimension is a theoretically exact size that is modified by a tolerance of location. Quantity would not need a tolerance. Quantity 6 holes +/- 2 holes? Therfore not part of the BASIC box. (Not that it matters all that much) What would be great is if there was a forum on the ASME experts to bring up these questions. Maybe there is and we haven't found it.

"Stephan Klein" wrote:

Thanks everyone for the workaround. CM - Did you work with Foster at the big red H? I've heard he worked at our Minneapolis division. For what its worth, our viewpoint is the BASIC dimension is a theoretically exact size that is modified by a tolerance of location. Quantity would not need a tolerance. Quantity 6 holes +/- 2 holes? Therfore not part of the BASIC box. (Not that it matters all that much) What would be great is if there was a forum on the ASME experts to bring up these questions. Maybe there is and we haven't found it. 😉

Top Tags