cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Easy way to insert an angled line in a drawing?

Re: Easy way to insert an angled line in a drawing?

The menu is the one you get when selecting a draft entity and RMB. It also looks like you are using Creo 3 or 4? Any thing earlier has text in the RMB no icons.

Unfortunately, no. The angle is always measured from the horizontal and always counter clockwise. The best I could find to handle this is to use a horizontal construction or geometry line, measure the angle (command is on the analysis tab), and enter an angle by addition or subtraction based on the angle desired.

I turn on the horizontal and vertical sketching option.

I draw the line either vertical or horizontal.

I then translate-rotate the line to the desired angle.

Haven't found an easier way.

This is Creo 2.0

I would certainly do it in the part sketch if I could but with this application these are tabs that are added after the surface construction is done. Realistically we wouldn't want these shown in our models. I was able to turn on that 45 degree snap point but it doesn't work when one end of the line is constrained to anything, which unfortunately is what I need in this case. Thank you for the suggestions though.

I'm not sure if you were replying to Paul or me, but my RMB has only text as I am only on 2.0. Sounds like running 3 or 4 would easily answer my original question since they have that line angle option.

I do have those on, but many of the lines I'm sketching from aren't horizontal or vertical, which would make this option possibly more challenging than the original way I've been doing it. Thanks for the reply.

Highlighted

I am on Creo 3.0 now but I believe it was the same back in Creo 2.0 that when you go into the Sketch Tab in a drawing, there should be a "sketcher preferences" choice under the "Settings" section. And after you choose that, a dialog pops up and one of the options is angle with a degree option. If you turn that on and set it to 45 as you start sketching lines, it will then be able to snap to 45 degrees in all 4 quadrant directions. And I also believe you can change that degree for other lines if you want to start sketching them at a different angle later on. Hope this all makes sense and I will attach a pic of the selections.Sketch Angle.JPG

If you have a parallel reference, it too can b e used to get the line at the desired angle.  I do this to show intersects for dimension leaders.

Steve Black wrote:

I do have those on, but many of the lines I'm sketching from aren't horizontal or vertical, which would make this option possibly more challenging than the original way I've been doing it. Thanks for the reply.

It is a lot more work that should be necessary.

My point was to start with a known state (Hori/Vert) and specifically translate to the right angle.

We could use a "set angle" similar to "change circle diameter".