cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Editing Dimensions after placement problems

leegardner
4-Participant

Editing Dimensions after placement problems

Hi There,

I am having a problem with Creo 5.0. Its possibly something im doing. 

Lets say I have a simple part drawing, with a few dimensions created using the dimensions tool on the annotate tab. I create a hole diameter measurement and add some text through the dimension text box. All is well in the world. Close the drawing. Check in to Windchill or sometimes don't check in.

When I come back to the drawing later, say I want to change the text or add the basic box around the dimension/add a tolerance, when I select the dimension, Creo doesn't bring up the dimensions tab, instead it brings up a format tab. This gives me no options to make the changes I wanted to make. I have tried multiple different way of selecting the dimension, including ensuring that I am in the annotation tab and that I use the drop down selection filter. Nothing works.

The end result is that I have to delete the dimension and recreate it. Which is fine once or twice but when its every dimension on the drawing, then it becomes painful.

Any thoughts

Lee

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:leegardner)

Verify the .prt (or .asm) file is unlocked in windchill. Depending on your config file, created dimensions in the drawing may be actaully in the model. If the model is locked, you will not be able to edit the dimensions.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

Any pictures or screen shots you can share to clarify what you are asking?

StephenW
23-Emerald II

Verify the .prt (or .asm) file is unlocked in windchill. Depending on your config file, created dimensions in the drawing may be actaully in the model. If the model is locked, you will not be able to edit the dimensions.

leegardner
4-Participant
(To:StephenW)

Hi Steve,

I think you are correct, I have just tried a few times and it wont let me edit a dimension in the drawing unless the model is also checked out, once its checked out it works fine. I wasn't aware of that.

Thanks

StephenW
23-Emerald II

Just for clarification, there is a config option  called create_drawing_dims_only and its default is NO which basically means that created dimensions in the drawing actually "belong" to the model and are stored in the model.

If you set the option to YES, then the created dimension is in the drawing only.

There are some drawbacks to each setting. One of which you found. I know another that affected us was if you had a created dimension, you couldn't associated model GD&T to the created dimension.

I think there are other advantages/disadvantages but I can't think of them right off hand

Hi,

please attach pictures of Creo UI. Show us

1.] which tabs are available when you create new dimension

2.] which tabs are available when you edit existing dimension

Martin Hanák
Top Tags