cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Export Parasolid tips.

Genero
4-Participant

Export Parasolid tips.

Having real issues with the the export of parasolids in creo4. When reading back in they are really chunky,with surfaces missing. Anyone got any tips. Parts are set to default tolerance in mmns.

Thanks

SC.

21 REPLIES 21

Hi,

if you export models from Creo 4.0 and import them back into Creo 4.0, then test all available export formats.

Martin Hanák
Genero
4-Participant
(To:MartinHanak)

HI.

I have been doing that for the last day or so. I was wondering if anyone had any pre set up configs to aid the export. It looks like a tolerance issue. The models on import are really bad.

SC

Hi,

if you provide some model and describe the problem using text and pictures, then I hope somebody will help you.

Martin Hanák
mbonka
15-Moonstone
(To:Genero)

Hello @Genero

in my opinion export OUT of Creo can be correct, but error can be during import back to Creo. Try to turn off temlates during import or change accuracy for import...

As u sad, try to focus on accuracy. Its the first going on my mind...

Regards

@mbonka

Genero
4-Participant
(To:mbonka)

Hi.

I have had a play with that without much success....I will have another play.

Thanks

TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot

I've had occasion where the settings file is in the working directory and it takes them on without even knowing it.

Parasolid (X_T) is my secondary export format.  Never had one go "chunky".  Some limited missing surfaces is normal for complex shapes.  Import data doctor can help with these if it is important.

Genero
4-Participant
(To:TomD.inPDX)

HI.

This was a customer specified format. Trust me data doctor would not of patched this file. Its like the tolerance went up right up. Wondered if it was an metric to imperial on export that I do not know about...Looked in config but can not see any options. It is complex geom.

Any help greatly received....

Cheers

SC

export.jpg

mbonka
15-Moonstone

Do you have to export to parasolid? STEP or IGS isn´t allowed?

Genero
4-Participant
(To:mbonka)

Hi

Customer specified...............I have got round it by reading step file into catia and expprting....not a good sign for Creo 4

Cheers

dschenken
21-Topaz I

Over on the Solidworks forums, one user suggested that when he gets problem files he asks for the little fillets and rounds to be removed. It's faster to add them back on his end then fix the problems he gets from all the other CAD vendors. This makes sense as they add a tremendous amount of overhead.

http://my.solidworks.com/reader/forumthreads/109286/solidworks-and-faulty-faces

Genero
4-Participant
(To:dschenken)

Not when you have 18 separate mold parts.

Don't fancy that job....lol

Cheers

Steve

TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot

Wow!  I rarely see anything like this.

I get these every once in a while from outside sources. 

I always blamed it on some kind of "file cruncher" to do one of two things.

1) blur design intent 2) a misguided data storage consideration.

Could you please re-iterate the timeline of which file went where and which results?

Of course, I'm also going to suggest creating a support case if you can. 

There is a lot of behind the scenes stuff that could be at play here.

One of the things I am not clear on with Creo; how to clean up some of the config changes made and become permanent due to temp files or config setting changes that stick.  I'm going to suggest you have this going o with your system.  A PTC tech should be able to troubleshoot this with ease.

Genero
4-Participant

HI

Customer data in....(Pump body model. Solid works ...step file)...Read into Creo4.

Model pack constructed.......

18 mold parts cut from parent body model to produce tool files for sand sintering.

Sand sintering company wanted parasolid opposed to stl files....for some unknown reason.

Exported parasolid....the rest you can see..

Cheers

Steve

TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot

Cool... so you are reading the files in fine from the customer (STEP is pretty reliable out of SW)...

You do your thing...  and export out individual part as parasolid (X_T) [binary or ascii?]... 

And upon checking those parts by re-importing them in Creo 4, you find the clunky models.

Is this correct so far?

I should add this as a quick sanity check...

When you install Creo, it creates a default shortcut.

It uses your public folder as the home folder.

This folder should have no config.pro file in it or anything else (empty would be good!).

This makes sure nothing is "visible" to Creo in the way of custom settings or config info files.

Now try your experiment... any difference in results? 

If the results are different, you have some kind of custom settings stuck somewhere outside the Creo file structure. 

If the results are the same, I would be looking at an accidental template customization inside the default installed file structure.

Genero
4-Participant

Yes that's correct

Cheers 

SC

TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot

Can you link one of the Parasolid files that imports in bad?

It could be any sample, but one that you export and imports clunky.

We can certainly see how it looks on our end.

Genero
4-Participant

Hi

See attached base mold ( drag ) part of the pack.

Cheers

Steve

TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot

There is something wrong with your install.  I'm pretty sure you have a config or template hung somewhere.

In Creo 2, my default configuration, I get this:  confirmed with Creo 3 generic

good_import.PNG

Genero
4-Participant

Hi.

Wow.....that was on default config. That's what it should look like....

Any ideas what config setting could be different in the creo 4 config....

Thanks

Steve

TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot

Do you or your company have maintenance or are you on subscription?

I suggest filing a support case to expedite this while we try to figure this out.

* There are countless interface settings that can be put in config.pro

* There are setting files created every time you change the import options.

One of these could be found and implemented during the import operation.

* Files import into templates.  Your X_T iport template is probably not the original.

How all these interplay, I haven't clue.  I try to not mess with default settings.

However, I am certain others here have a clearer understanding.  "PTC?"

Top Tags