cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Extending a Line

NickKaehler
1-Newbie

Extending a Line

I can't figure out how to extend a line in the sketch. Other then deleting the line I want to extend and drawing it too long then trimming. Is there a toolbar button that will let me extend lines? Or a command in one of the menus? Thanks in advance, Nick
12 REPLIES 12
CBenner
5-Regular Member
(To:NickKaehler)

On your editing toolbar (wherever it may be on the screen) look for the tool I have marked #1 in my picture, and select it. you will get the toolbox you see on the right. Select the tool marked #2 to constrain the end of the line you want to extend, to the line you want to extend it to. Pick the end point of the first line, and the line you want it collinear to. There is also a button on the trim tool that will allow you to create a corner from tow perpendicular lines (a zero radius fillet).
Chris Benner
Autodesk ® Expert Elite

"Chris Benner" wrote:

On your editing toolbar (wherever it may be on the screen) look for the tool I have marked #1 in my picture, and select it. you will get the toolbox you see on the right. Select the tool marked #2 to constrain the end of the line you want to extend, to the line you want to extend it to. Pick the end point of the first line, and the line you want it collinear to. There is also a button on the trim tool that will allow you to create a corner from tow perpendicular lines (a zero radius fillet).

"Chris Benner" wrote:

Not applicable

Nick, There is no extend line tool in sketcher. Extending a line opens the opportunity to create an "open" sketch. The concept being that a sketch should be enclosed and there should be no "T" intersections of line entities. You have mentioned the quickest/easiest method - if in a new sketch, delete the line and redraw. If redifining an existing feature, draw a new line then use edit>replace to replace the existing line with the new line reducing the chance of child feature failures. Edit>Scale and Rotate might serve your purpose in breaking the endpoint on endpoint constraint. Best regards-
DavidButz
1-Newbie
(To:)

Nick, Yet another exampleof lost or hard-to-find functionality as the newer Wildfire User Interface was developed. This used to be called "Trim/Bound". Fortunately it is still available (at least through WF 3.0). Go to the Sketch Menu and uncheck Intent Manager. This takes you into the old menu-driven Sketch menu structure. Select GeomTools/Trim/Bound, pick the trim-to line then the line to be extended. Finally pick Regenerate. This should do the trick. David

Why not use the corner tool?

Thanks everybody, all of these suggestions have been helpful.
Not applicable

Thanks David, It has been so long since I turned off the Intent Manager I had forgotten the old sketcher menu tree commands were there. They are still available in WF4. Regards-
DavidButz
1-Newbie
(To:)

Guys, Poking around: In WF in a Drawing you can still do this through Edit/Trim/Bound but not in a Sketch. Edit/Trim is available in a Sketch, but not the Bound sub-choice. David

Creo is so suck.  This is not an extending a line. When I did as you show me, it changes that line to other position.

Creo software is so stupid.

Did you know that you can extend line in sketch by using Shift or CTRL key and dragging the line end point?

DaSpark
5-Regular Member
(To:manjunathrv)

I can't get the line I am dragging to automatically grab the end point of the other line and close my sketch?  

Top Tags