cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

First angle projection symbol

fhansen-2
1-Newbie

First angle projection symbol

Hello,

I would like to have the first angle projection symbol in my drawing template.  I have looked in Annotate>Symbols, but can't seem to find it.

Is this symbol a standard symbol in Creo? Or where can I find this symbol?

- Frederik

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:fhansen-2)

Create it yourself. It is well defined as to what it looks like and sizing.

Maybe someone will upload one.

It is not in the PTC distribution, and neither is the third-angle projection symbol.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Create it yourself. It is well defined as to what it looks like and sizing.

Maybe someone will upload one.

It is not in the PTC distribution, and neither is the third-angle projection symbol.

rohit_rajan
13-Aquamarine

No it is not a standard  symbol in PTC Creo Parametric.You would have to make that symbol and put it in drawing.

Seems like creating formats and drawing symbols is still in the dark ages. There should at least be some more commonly used symbols.  Most tutorials on creating drawing formats mostly criticize PTCs lack of functionality and suggest starting a new format with a legacy dxf format where ever possible. I'm sure explaining to management that we need a seat of Autocad to create better drawing formats will go over real well.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:ehowanice)

Creating a format is easy if you use tables for the titleblock, etc.

Creating the border with zoning is the trickiest part. Once that is done, create the tables you need, load them with model or drawing parameters and you are done.

Symbols are hard to create if you want some intelligence in them. We use a lot of parameters in our symbols for signatures.

What symbols do you feel PTC should be providing? I don't use any that are standard, they are all custom to our needs. Symbols are a method of saving time. If it something that is used once, like in a format, why even bother with creating a symbol.

Ben - Thanks for the reply.  Did some formats many years ago, did everything with tables, perhaps a bit too much. I like using tables because everything can be easily justified. Now a few users are requesting borders with zoning which as I discovered is a bit time consuming. One question, I want to have what looks like a table but with text that cant be edited, for example tolerance callouts. I can make a border with sketched lines, but in terms of placing a note can the note be justified in any way, or do I just have to eyeball it ?

There is a PTC lesson in the Intro to drawing course, which has you start with importing a dxf file of a fairly complete format, and then just creating tables where you want justifyable text, but unforntunately I dont have any legacy dxf formats to start with.

appreciate any ideas,

thanks

ed

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:ehowanice)

I found that by creating the border and margin lines first, then I added the zoning ticks by translate and copy. Did the same after placing the first zone letter/number. Translate and copy to complete the original row/column, then did a translate and copy of the whole row/column to the opposite side of the format. Now that I have the D-size and E-size formats, when I need something different, just swap out the tables and realign them. I have 3 different formats depending on which work is being done.

Tables placed in the drawing get copied to your drawing when used and they then are editable by anyone. Not sure if placing them in a drawing template will 'freeze' them. There should be a property value will lock a table if you are not in an admin role.

Originally, we did the tolerance block as a note in the part or assembly file and then put the note in a table on the drawing. A real pain if you have to make a change to the information, like changing from ASME Y14.5M-1994 to ASME Y14.5-2009 as your referenced drawing standard. I have now made the tolerance block a standard table with all the text rate than a part note. We have 4 tolerance blocks that the users can swap out, depending on what tolerances their drawing needs. I suppose they could edit one if they wanted to, but it might get caught when going through the release approval cycle. (I am an approver on all releases and I tend to look for things out of the standard. Since I created them, I find usually notice a difference.)

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:BenLoosli)

If you want I can strip out my tables and email you a copy of the bare formats with zoning. Only have D and E size right now.

email: looslib<at>centrusenergy.com

Top Tags