cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Flexible component dimension driven by parameter?

TractorGuy
12-Amethyst

Flexible component dimension driven by parameter?

I am using Pro/E Wildfire 4.0 and I need to create a torsion spring model that will update as a mechanism moves. The spring itself is parameter driven and I can update the spring model by changing the number of coils and coil diameter based on calculations. What I would like to do is make this spring a flexible component in my assembly and update the coil and coil diameter parameters in the spring by driving them with an assembly parameter calculated by the angle of movement. My calculated assembly parameters are working fine and I am able to manually update my flexible component, but I can't get the assembly parameter to drive the flexible component...it seems that the flexible component dialog will only take numbers as input. Anyone know how to get around this?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
vzak
6-Contributor
(To:TractorGuy)

Hi,

If you want to drive part level parameter of flexible componenent from assembly, try this :

1. Add part parameter (say PART_PAR1, the one that drives spring shape) to flecible components Varied Item (of Parameter type), set new value as you need as a start value.

2. IN Varied Items dialogue add column called ASSOC PARAM. Set any name there (say FLEX_PART_PAR1). This will create such parameter at component level.

3. Go to relations / Component / select your flex component / add relation : FLEX_PART_PAR1 = ASM_DRIVING_PAR (or any othe way you want to drive it).

Now when all is ready, modify ASM_DRIVING_PAR and see how regeneration tweaks your flexible component.

Note : spring will not change upon kinematic drag, since no part regeneration happens when you drag. So when you complete the drag just regen.

Note2 : if this spring "locks" your mechanism movement, you can "excliude from mechanism" any flexible component. IN this case flex comp will vanish from screen when you start kinematics , and get back when gragging (or analysis run) stops - and will regen to the desired shape.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
vzak
6-Contributor

Hi,

If you want to drive part level parameter of flexible componenent from assembly, try this :

1. Add part parameter (say PART_PAR1, the one that drives spring shape) to flecible components Varied Item (of Parameter type), set new value as you need as a start value.

2. IN Varied Items dialogue add column called ASSOC PARAM. Set any name there (say FLEX_PART_PAR1). This will create such parameter at component level.

3. Go to relations / Component / select your flex component / add relation : FLEX_PART_PAR1 = ASM_DRIVING_PAR (or any othe way you want to drive it).

Now when all is ready, modify ASM_DRIVING_PAR and see how regeneration tweaks your flexible component.

Note : spring will not change upon kinematic drag, since no part regeneration happens when you drag. So when you complete the drag just regen.

Note2 : if this spring "locks" your mechanism movement, you can "excliude from mechanism" any flexible component. IN this case flex comp will vanish from screen when you start kinematics , and get back when gragging (or analysis run) stops - and will regen to the desired shape.

TractorGuy
12-Amethyst
(To:vzak)

It works perfectly now. Thanks!

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

I've run into this, and on my spring model the # of coils, OD, wire dia etc. are all parameter driven, but the installed length is best left as an actual dimension made with pre-defined flexibility. When used in mechanism, the spring will change automatically, with no need for a regen, it just doesn't do it "on the fly" as you're dragging the mechanism. Once you stop, the spring shows correctly.

Top Tags