cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Flexible parts issue question.

DELETEME
1-Newbie

Flexible parts issue question.

Is there a way to make the parameter PTC_MATERIAL_NAME flexible at assembly? I'm trying to get a part to change material and appearance at the assembly level in certain cases, and in this case I can't make an instance of the part itself and change the material (via the PTC_MATERIAL_NAME) in the instances. The parameter seems to be invisible both when I try and make it flexible at the part and at the assembly level. I can make the MP_DENSITY change, but it would be much cleaner if I can change the material itself as that way I'd get the material properties (not just density) and apperance as well. Thanks!
This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
10 REPLIES 10

I do this all the time via execute and input statements. Here is an example where "MATERIAL" is my driven parameter, and I use "MAT" for reporting in the description: IF MATERIAL==1 PTC_MATERIAL_NAME="S30100" MAT="Type 301 SS" ENDIF IF MATERIAL==2 PTC_MATERIAL_NAME="S30400" MAT="Type 304 SS" ENDIF IF MATERIAL==3 PTC_MATERIAL_NAME="NYLON" MAT="Black Nylon" ENDIF

You can change the material by adding the PTC_MATERIAL_NAME to the Model Tree Columns by typing it in from the Model Params type. In the part select the materials you want to be in the model. You can assign an appearance to the material so that when you change from one to another the color changes. In the assembly you should get a drop down list that lists the materials in the part model that you can change between.
DELETEME
1-Newbie
(To:Kevin)

"Rodney Decker" wrote:

I do this all the time via execute and input statements. Here is an example where "MATERIAL" is my driven parameter, and I use "MAT" for reporting in the description: IF MATERIAL==1 PTC_MATERIAL_NAME="S30100" MAT="Type 301 SS" ENDIF IF MATERIAL==2 PTC_MATERIAL_NAME="S30400" MAT="Type 304 SS" ENDIF IF MATERIAL==3 PTC_MATERIAL_NAME="NYLON" MAT="Black Nylon" ENDIF

We don't work with a wide variety of materials so I was able to make a standardized list of what we use. I have also created a relation I use for the odd material we would sometimes get. IF MATERIAL==0 PTC_MATERIAL_NAME="UNASSIGNED" MAT="-" ENDIF Our start parts have all our standard materials added, and should I need a new one I'll add it then. With PTC_MATERIAL_NAME="UNASSIGNED" you can manually control the MP_DENSITY parameter yourself. Not sure how much difference this would make, but I did forget to mention we're on WF3, no PLM.

Did you try the way I mentioned above?
DELETEME
1-Newbie
(To:Kevin)

"Rodney Decker" wrote:

"Kevin Demarco" wrote:

Did you try the way I mentioned above?

Kevin
10-Marble
(To:DELETEME)

Okay, I see. I was missing the need for flexibility but I see what you're talking about now.

Glad to hear it worked. I have not found a way to swap the appearance of a part via drivable parameters myself. If I recall correctly, I've seen it mentioned in various forums that changing the color can be done with family tables, a surface is added and a color assigned to that surface in the table. I have not tried this myself though.

"Rodney Decker" wrote:

Glad to hear it worked. I have not found a way to swap the appearance of a part via drivable parameters myself. If I recall correctly, I've seen it mentioned in various forums that changing the color can be done with family tables, a surface is added and a color assigned to that surface in the table. I have not tried this myself though.

Top Tags