cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

For Discussion: Should SCALE be in a drawings titleblock?

Lohbauer
1-Newbie

For Discussion: Should SCALE be in a drawings titleblock?

Happy Friday,

This is more of an academic discussion starter thana problem. We are looking at updating our engineering formats and the question of whether to eliminate the SCALE field came up. Given the approaching model-onlystate of ASME Y14.41-2003, is the information necessary to have in a drawing?

Have at it.

Thanks,
WindchillAdministrator

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
31 REPLIES 31

Disclaimer: This is my opinion based on my own personal experiences.
I have been in this business for almost 47 years and the best detailers by far are those who came into the CAD world with a solid background in doing drawings with paper and pencil, mylar and plastic S or K lead, etc. You know “the old schoolers”. Being an excellent modeler does not necessarily make you a great or even good draftsman. If a person has a good drafting background their chances of being a great modeler are enhanced mostly because of the mindset and thought processes that it takes to be a good draftsman.

John M. Scranton
Manager Design Drafting
and Configuration Management
Ultra Electronics - USSI
4868 E. Park 30 Dr.
Columbia City, IN 46725-8869
•Voice: 260.248.3576
•Fax; 260.248.3509
[cid:image001.png@01CF42B7.46998BB0]
[cid:image004.jpg@01CF42B7.46998BB0]
TimKnier
4-Participant
(To:Lohbauer)

I agree with everything you said. Back when I started and was chiseling stone tablets on a drafting board, drafting was more of an art form and the “personal touch” was highly regarded. Nowadays, time is money so the “personal touch” is considered not worth the time. The speed we can exchange information is more valued. Ways to communicate information are evolving faster now. Even e-mails like these are getting old-fashioned because people are using 140 characters or less now (#). The original thread of this discussion was whether the scale block is needed on a drawing and I still think it’s doesn’t have enough value anymore to worry about. I know people can recite an instance or two where it came in handy but in general no.

Tim Knier
QG Product & Support Engineering
QuadTech
A Subsidiary of Quad/Graphics
Sussex, Wisconsin
414-566-7439 phone
-<">mailto:->
www.quadtechworld.com<">http://www.quadtechworld.com>
Top Tags