cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Help in golf ball modelling

KshetrabasiMaha
1-Newbie

Help in golf ball modelling

Hi

I tried to make a golf ball with the help of some other discussions

But Can someone give me exact dimension of a golf ball and its pattern details so that I can make my model final

Regards

K.Mahanta

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
25 REPLIES 25

Hi, here is my model of golf ball: GOLF - Gentleman Only, Ladies Forbidden?

Vladimir

Note from Wiki: Under the rules of golf, a golf ball weighs no more than 1.620 oz (45.93 grams), has a diameter not less than 1.680 in (42.67 mm)

Best Regards,
Vladimir Palffy

1st of all, there is no "standard" golf ball dimple pattern.

I have just spent a better part of this week playing with this challenge. I finally got the file complete to my satisfaction. I will borrow a golf ball from the course and see how close I got.

I posted comments in Vladimir's link to get an idea of how I got there. Once I got the regions defined, it was still a challenge mapping the dimples and maintaining a decent distribution. Again, there was no logic in the end of how to distribute the dimples on the individual triangulations. Once I obtained a decent distribution, I used a sketched pattern (datum point field sketched w/ references) and the dimple "cutter" mapped correctly. From there, I was able to tweak the dimples somewhat to equal out the spacing somewhat.

ICOSA_Dodec_golfball.JPG

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:TomD.inPDX)

Nice! Looks good to me. I don't golf, but looks real to me!

Dear Antonius, thanks for your post

Vladimir

Best Regards,
Vladimir Palffy

Spherically pattern - new pattern for Spherically shape

What do you think? It is good idea for new feature in Creo? - Vote here

Best Regards,
Vladimir Palffy

Spherically pattern - new pattern for Spherically shape

you have to create links by using the browse history in the link dialog. Otherwise it appends an extra HTTP before your posted link.

Thanks Antonius

and thanks for your comment

Vladimir

Best Regards,
Vladimir Palffy

Still not. This is the only way I have known it to work properly:

linking_messages.png

..and you're welcome

OK, Thanks for your help

Regards,

Vladimir

Best Regards,
Vladimir Palffy

Hello,

Filling up a sphere is a difficult task especially when you need to keep regular distances between the features.

The picture comparing the first golf ball modelised by kshetrabasi mahanta and a “real” one shows that the dimples get to be irregular if you whant to fill the spere.

golf+ball.jpg

We modelised a few years ago this diamond seted sphere.

To obtain regular distances between diamonds, we used irregular diameters.

sphere+sertie.jpg

sphere+sertie+irr%C3%A9gulier.jpg

I have suggested to PTC’s Product Managers the need of irregular patterns.

Patterns letting you define regular spacing between features and the possibility to change diameter.

These kind of “patterns”:

oOoOoOoOoOoOoO

ooOoooOOOOooo

OOOooOOooooOOoo

Cordially

Nicolas

Very nice, Nicolas! And thank you and your team in the recommendation to PTC to support irregular patterns.

http://communities.ptc.com/ideas/2621

Here is the idea that formalizes the suggestion of Pattern Tool Enhancements made to Brian Thompson in 2011.

Linking forum links is fairly picky.

You need to use the "browse history" link using the URL button.

Irregular patterns

What about an idea to solve the problem of insertion of the URL ???

Thanks Antonius for the new link and the vote

NICOLAS BOURGEOIS wrote:

What about an idea to solve the problem of insertion of the URL ???

That thought crossed my mind as well

Very interesting. I don't golf, so I never looked at it, but this is all cool stuff! It's obvious Titleist ran into the same issues.

I decoded one of the Srixon golf ball patterns. At the parting line, it has 10 hext patterns (bisected at the parting line) and a vertical pair between each. The next row has 5 hex and 5 pentagon patterns each with a halo. next is a squished hex, with a halo, finishing at the center with a pentagon. It looks like three distinct dimple sizes.

Then I compare the ball with what images are available on the web. I cannot find this particular pattern from Srixon. But I suspect that if you follow the dimples around at the seam of any major brand golf ball, you will find a pattern.

Here is an interesting illustration of two sorts of triangular subdivisions of a sphere.

Two_similar_icosahedron_golf_ball_designs.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golf_ball

NICOLAS BOURGEOIS wrote:

Here is an interesting illustration of two sorts of triangular subdivisions of a sphere.

Two_similar_icosahedron_golf_ball_designs.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golf_ball

I based my model on the one on the right.

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?patentnumber=4,560,168

A golf ball is provided with evenly and uniformly distributed dimples so that six great circle paths on the surface of the golf ball do not intersect any dimples. The spherical surface of the golf ball is divided into 20 identical spherical triangles corresponding to the faces of a regular icosahedron. Each of the 20 triangles is further subdivided into four smaller triangles consisting of a central triangle and three apical triangles by connecting the midpoints of each of the 20 triangles along great circle paths. The dimples are arranged so that the dimples do not intersect the sides of any of the central triangles.

In the case of the "course ball" I have from Srixon (no number on it) it doesn't follow this rule. It is a clear mix of pentagon and hexagon patterns each with a surround of dimples. on axis, it is penta; 5x squished hex with tetra interleave; 5x penta interleaved with 5x hex; and finally, at the seam, 10x hex.

The seam is what makes it a hemispherical division. In this case, the hemisphere pattern is not mirrored, it is 180 degrees out of phase on the other side.

I will see if I can do a rough division sometime soon.

Ok it's not Creo but it is interesting: How to make a golf ball in 3ds max ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZpi_IHjtLEhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=MZpi_IHjtLE

That's a great video, Nicolas! I think I was exactly that pattern on some of the Srixon versions.

... You can use Golf ball like Holder and Charger - Golf ball not for "GOLF"

Best Regards,
Vladimir Palffy

This is the pattern I lifted from the Srixon course ball I borrowed:

srixon+Pattern.JPG

Obviously not nearly optimized. It is amazing just how difficult it is to reverse engineer something like this.

Top Tags