cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Hiding dimensions when exporting a drawing

imoldes
8-Gravel

Hiding dimensions when exporting a drawing

Hello all.

I have a drawing with several dimensions, some of these dimensions are references, and are not required when we export the drawing to pdf file. Is there a way to exclude some dimensions from the drawing when exporting it to pdf without having to delete them? Because these dimensions could be still needed by the engineers; maybe this can be done with layers, but I couldn't find the way.

Thanks in advance.

5 REPLIES 5
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:imoldes)

I don't think layers will do it because all dimensions go to the same layer if you have it configured that way. This is one of my complaints about PTC's layering scheme. It does not allow you enough granularity for object placement.

I suppose you could create a new layer called Ref_dim and manually move all of the reference dimensions to it, and the turn that layer off when you do the export, but that would be additional work up front for the designers to move any reference dimensions to that layer. What happens if you decide a dimension needs to be an active one, then you have to move the dimension back to the primary dimension layer.

If one uses layer rules there is no need to move a dimension 'back.' Just have a rule that all dimensions go to the dimension layer except those on the "ref_dimension_layer" At worst when the item is removed from the one layer either regenerate or update drawing to cause the rules to be reevaluated, depending on whether it is a model or drawing dimension.

RandyJones
19-Tanzanite
(To:imoldes)

@imoldes wrote:

Hello all.

I have a drawing with several dimensions, some of these dimensions are references, and are not required when we export the drawing to pdf file. Is there a way to exclude some dimensions from the drawing when exporting it to pdf without having to delete them? Because these dimensions could be still needed by the engineers; maybe this can be done with layers, but I couldn't find the way.

Thanks in advance.

Simply create a layer ie no_print_pdf, place the non pdfable dims on that layer, hide the layer, export to pdf, and then unhide the layer. You could even create a mapkey that would do the hide, export to pdf, and then unhide. This layer could exist at the model level or only be a drawing level layer.

The simplest method would be to open the drawing, delete the dimensions you don't want to see in the published drawing, export the drawing to pdf, finally close the Creo drawing without saving it.

Thank you all for your replies.

It worked with layers, but I have some drawings with individual layers per view, so when I add the layer in the top model and hide it, is doesn't hide the dimensions in that layer. Is there a way to do it when you have both checks on the Layer status Control window marked?

Thanks again.

Top Tags