cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

How can I create a 3D dimension for diameters?

ptc-4946712
3-Visitor

How can I create a 3D dimension for diameters?

Hello,

I have been trying to create a 3D dimension for circular/cylindrical features. Im actually using Creo Elements Pro 5.0. I'm using this feature.

Insert > Annotations > Dimension

I need to create the dimension on a pin once it has been assembled, so I can attach a datum to the dimension. Creating the dimension on an spherical features works pretty well but I didnt have any luck with cylinders. In the image below it is shown how I put the dimension on the red surface (the sphere) but I can't do the same for the blue one (the cylinder).

Capture.PNG

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

You can manipulate quite a bit of this. Datums can be assigned to several features; the diameter dimension can be shown as linear; the GTOL is a feature much like a dimension and can be added to a note feature. Orientation can also be edited.

I am certain you will run into limitations but maintaining associativity shouldn't be difficult.

dim_note_2.JPG

Taking the dimensions to another level through an assembly should also be possible. You will have to find the feature in the sub-level and find the value as used in assemblies.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

You can make a note annotation attached to the surface that used the dimension from the cylinder's diameter dimension.

dim_note.JPG

I mean, if there is a way to do it with the feature I mentioned, Insert>Annotation>Dimension. I need to create the dimensions on the assembly, that way I can add datums and geometric tolerances to the assembly and show them on the drawing. Maybe my whole way is wrong, but at least it has worked for other things. I design with tooling balls so adding datums to the sphere is ok, but the problem is when I need to add datums to a dowel.

I see. Typically, you can only do what ASME Y14.49 will allow you to do. In the case of the cylinder, it is typically the dimension shown on the bottom. You can change the arrows-out but that is normally it.

However, that dimension, &d1, does have all the intelligence of the original. Have you tried formatting the dimension and then adding it to a note feature?

You can manipulate quite a bit of this. Datums can be assigned to several features; the diameter dimension can be shown as linear; the GTOL is a feature much like a dimension and can be added to a note feature. Orientation can also be edited.

I am certain you will run into limitations but maintaining associativity shouldn't be difficult.

dim_note_2.JPG

Taking the dimensions to another level through an assembly should also be possible. You will have to find the feature in the sub-level and find the value as used in assemblies.

Thanks Antonious, even that is not the way I'm trying, you just gave me the clue I was missing, Orientation. My problem was that when I showed the dimension on the drawing, it was displayed as linear, and I need it as diameter. Once I changed the orientation to the same of the view where I was displaying the dimension, the attachment could be changed to be like a diameter.

Happy to help

Top Tags