cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

How can I put a barcode on a drawing?

J.Wagner
9-Granite

How can I put a barcode on a drawing?

Hello,

I have a User who wants to have the possibility to put a barcode on a drawing.

Does anybody know how to do that? In Wildfire4?

Regards - Jens

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jkent
3-Visitor
(To:J.Wagner)

You could probably create a custom font that has the barcodes you need. We use custom fonts for logos. Check out this thread.

http://communities.ptc.com/thread/33199

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
jkent
3-Visitor
(To:J.Wagner)

You could probably create a custom font that has the barcodes you need. We use custom fonts for logos. Check out this thread.

http://communities.ptc.com/thread/33199

J.Wagner
9-Granite
(To:jkent)

Thanks alot!

That's what I was looking for.

@ all User who read that,

scroll the other thread to the bottom, there's the answer!

Best Regards - Jens

Hello Jens

In the attachment you can find barcode True Type Font (tested and functional)

Vladimir

Best Regards,
Vladimir Palffy

Hello Vladimir,

I've already found a 3 of 9 barcode that was working (also tested and functional).

Thanks anyway

You are welcome (maybe it will help others)

Have a nice day.

Vladimir

Best Regards,
Vladimir Palffy

Hello Vladimir, Hello Jens,

I re-activate this topic, because I use this method (with true type font) with 2 additionnal problems.

- Barcode on a drawing is consider as a note. When exporting drawing in dxf, notes still stay as notes and not as "2D barcodes"

- Fonts are not saved in the ProE drawing (must be installed on each machine), so if I open ProE drawing on other machine (colleagues / supplier / customer) I only get symbols in the note.

Is there any way to "break" a note to 2d entities?

Thanks & have a nice day

Eric

VladimirPalffy
13-Aquamarine
(To:EricG.)

Hello Eric

add1:

If you need open native ProE drawing on other machine with correct font, you can copy *.ttf file to this machine (you can set configuration option: pro_font_dir "set custom path / folders path") or install it to Windows font dir.

add2:

If you need "break" a note to 2d entities, you can set in DXF Export option window Notes > As Separated Enties (see below)

barcode_export.jpg

Vladimir

Best Regards,
Vladimir Palffy

Hello Vladimir,

Thanks for your answer!

I was very surprised not to have seen this option for dxf export !

But in fact, I don't have this option! I'm using WF5 M080 :

dxf.jpg

Anyway the dxf version (12, 13, 14 , 2000, 2004, 2007)

Eric

VladimirPalffy
13-Aquamarine

Hi Eric

If you need "break" a note to 2d entities in Creo Elements/Pro 5.0 (ProE WF5) do you set: Notes > Stroke All Characters (see below) in DXF Export option

wf5-dxf-export.jpg

Vladimir

Best Regards,
Vladimir Palffy

Hello Vladimir,

Great !

In fact it's a translation problem because in french, this option is translated with "block all characters" or "bar all characters" .... "separated entities" was more clear!

Thanks again!

Wish you a happy new year 2012 !

Best regards

Eric

VladimirPalffy
13-Aquamarine

Hello Eric

Thanks for your answer and happy new year too.

Vladimir

Best Regards,
Vladimir Palffy

But if I want to generate QR Code in my drawings, what should I do?

Do you mean something like this

QR code - this is not a 3D maze

... I know what you mean... The QR code is not a font - it is pictures. If you need to add some embedded pictures to your drawing, you can use Insert>Object funcionality

Vladimir

Best Regards,
Vladimir Palffy

Hi @VladimirPalffy & @EricG.

Your discussion really helps me to make 50% of the progress within my requirement. I wonder if you guys have any ideas on my end goal. I'm using WASP 39 MC to convert text to barcode within Creo and further converting it into DXF. Like Vladimir Mentioned, if we "Stroke All Characters" from the DXF Settings in creo, we can able to view the DXF with barcode on top and actual text at the bottom of the Note. But with my requirement, I want to modify the text within the DXF File using Notepad++ and update the dxf file. Using "Stroke All Characters", I really can't find my text, when do a CTRL+F. @VladimirPalffy, I tried the above process even with your Barcode.ttf font, but of no luck when trying to modify it using Notepad. 

My actual requirement doesn't care how the dxf file looks like but I'm feeding this DXF File as an input to a laser cutting machine that will burn the dxf on a metal plate. So, for my convenience, I'm only using Notes --> As Text instead of "Stroke All Characters". This will gives me a flexibility to modify the dxf to make changes. But, somehow the machine could not able to print the Text underneath the bar-code (i.e., text that represents Bar-code). Does anyone of you have any ideas on how to address this issue.

Issues:

1. if I use "Stroke all characters", I couldn't able to make changes down the line within the DXF, but able to burn the dxf file on the plate.

2. if I use "As Text", I couldn't able to print the bar-code text from the laser machine.

I really appreciate your responses.

Top Tags