cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

How can I save a part as a wavefront (.obj) file?

ptc-4930707
1-Newbie

How can I save a part as a wavefront (.obj) file?

Hi,

I'm fairly new to Creo and am trying to export a part that I created as a .obj file. I want to import it into X-Plane's PlaneMaker. I have already managed to create a .obj file, but anytime I open it either in Creo or in PlaneMaker it is just a blank file. So far, I have been exporting the file by clicking "Save as > Wavefront (*.obj) > OK > Select Coordinate System > OK. Am I missing something? It also creates a .mtl file in the folder that I saved it in, so does that have any importance?

Thanks.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
5 REPLIES 5

Object files create a separate texture mapping file. If you used image textures, you will likely find them in the .mtl file.

The prompt asks for a datum plane or coordinate system.

Is it possible you are trying to export surface geometry?

Object files are facet files. You can probably use any of the facet export formats and import them easily. .wrl and .stl are also facet files.

I just exported a native Pro|E file to .obj and it created the file from a massive sheetmetal solid part without issue. Creo 2.0 M040.

When I try to export a surface object, the dialog prompts for quilts but even with one selected, it does not export it.

Correction... if I add a solid, I can export the solid and the quilt. It only fails if there are no solids selected.

I tried exporting an stl file this time, but again it showed up as a blank file. I also noticed that after I exported it, Creo displayed a message saying that 0 triangles were written in the file. Just to make sure I'm doing this right, all I have to do is select the datum plane or coordinate system, right? Do I need to select the individual facet that I want to export too? If so, how? Thanks again for the help.

Facets and surfaces are different. If you do not have a solid object, you have to select the surfaces. Maybe you cannot export faceted parts.

Feel free to share your file by using the advanced editor (upper right corner of the reply screen). Please state if it is the commercial version or academic version.

In the export selection dialog, it tells me what is going to be exported.

Wow....Waverfront. THAT brings back memories. When I was working on Wavefront (sadly, for a short time - late '80's), I would have KILLED to have a real 3D modeler. I had to do it all in 2-1/2D AutoCAD, which meant a lot of problems with reversed normals etc.

You SHOULD be able to simply export solids as a .obj file.

Top Tags