cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

How can I unlock dual dimension?

ChantalGagne
1-Newbie

How can I unlock dual dimension?

HI,

We are on Wildfire 5.0. At this moment we work with dimensions in millimeters. I would like to bring up this dimension in inches. In the config.pro, the parameter pro_unit_length is set to unit_mm. It's what we want for most of the time. But sometime, I want to insert the equivalent dimension in inch in my model or my drawing (ex: 50.8mm = 2").

I try to edit the dimension but the DUAL DIMENSION is lock (see picture below)

DUAL_DIM.jpg

What is the parameter I need to unlock in the config.pro to allow this option?

Thanks for your help

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
8 REPLIES 8
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:ChantalGagne)

There is a drawing setup option (not config.pro) for dual dimension

dual_dimensioning yes

there are a couple others you might need

dual_secondary_units inch

also ones for how many decimal places and brackets and fractions.

thank you, this is a good answer but with this way, all dimensions are processed with dual dimensions. I would like to target the desired dimensions only.

Or, can I write an relation or equation (divide by 25.4) in Dimension Properties / Display? Just to change the desired dimension. At this moment, I write manually the value and it's risky to make mistakes.

StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:ChantalGagne)

Unfortunately I don't believe you can control dual dimensioning individually.

You could write a relation but I think you would have to do that for each dimension which would probably cause you more errors.

If you want to do this for only a few dimensions, yes, you can make the parameter/relation for that dimension and use it in the dimension properties as appended text.

By default... and that is the whole premise behind drawing configs, is that everything is "the same". So if you change one setting, everything changes with it when set to their "default" values. In general, it is a preferred way of working for most applications. It tries to "follow the rules" of the trade.

Having said that, yes, it would be nice to format things individually for special circumstances. As standards have become more relaxed; or at least Corporate Policy methods are more varied, these locked applications actually stand in the way of getting things done.

I know this is an old post, but it might be good to have the info in one place. Like many, I only want to change a couple dimensions to dual dimensions, but I have found I need to either change the drawing_setup_file or use an equation/parameter workaround. I have it handled for my case.

The other thing I learned was once my drawing_setup_file is changed, I need to start a new drawing. Trying to change the dimensions on the old drawing still doesn't work, even with the drawing_setup_file changed.

Is there anyway to change the drawing file properties of an existing drawing from single to dual dimensions? I'm glad it isn't a large drawing.

You can vote on this:

http://communities.ptc.com/ideas/1718#comment-9442

...and yes, I have been able to do this in SolidWorks for some time. It IS very convenient with a couple clicks.

Typically, setting new parameters in the drawing setup file will also change every affected instance in the drawing to the new settings. Some of us rely on this. However, some legacy data doesn't seem to follow as well. I know PTC has parsed out some small coded patches for this by adding it to the configuration file.

As to the subject at hand, PTC has released some of the iron fisted control over accepted standards, but some are not as easy to overwrite apparently, because what we would today consider normal behavior is still in the clutches of PTC's aging code.

Thanks for the info, Antonius. I've just also learned of the drawing 'prepare' function to turn on dual dimensioning at the file level vs the system level with the drawing_setup_file.

As usual, training is KEY to a complicated system. I actually just finished a community college course in Creo, but it left a LOT to be desired. I'm glad I have the PTC Forums full of helpful people to fill the gaps.

Anytime, Dan. I created a quick access tool button for accessing drawing properties. You will also find some of these very same options in the model properties for paperless documentation.

Even as a seasoned Pro|Engineer user, I still find plenty of new features to entertain me... make me cry, laugh, scream, and even amaze on a regular basis to this day. I don't see how any school curriculum can possibly teach you how to make Creo perform for every discipline.

We are certainly here to share knowledge and even have a little fun. Glad to see you here, Dan.

Top Tags