cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

How do I incorporate MBD into existing creo models

rdevaux
6-Contributor

How do I incorporate MBD into existing creo models

I'm investigating the use of MBD for my company, and I'm wondering how we would easily add all of the new layers, annotations, annotation tabs, etc., to our existing jobs.  We have existing start models with assemblies half built, and we may use an existing job as a starting point for a new design.  So I do I basically merge a new MBD start part, to an existing part?

Thanks,

Rob

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jstothfang
12-Amethyst
(To:rdevaux)

Hi Rob,

this is pretty much the same question I had some years back, when I was investigating MBD for my company. After trying with mapkey and templates I came to the conclusion that this is not feasible and I asked for external help. The outcome was the SMARTUpdate toolkit application that is designed to do exactly this job and has evolved a lot during the years. Have look at B&W's website wwww.buw-soft.de for more details or contact me directly. 

Best regards

Jan

Jan Stothfang
B&W Software GmbH

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
jstothfang
12-Amethyst
(To:rdevaux)

Hi Rob,

this is pretty much the same question I had some years back, when I was investigating MBD for my company. After trying with mapkey and templates I came to the conclusion that this is not feasible and I asked for external help. The outcome was the SMARTUpdate toolkit application that is designed to do exactly this job and has evolved a lot during the years. Have look at B&W's website wwww.buw-soft.de for more details or contact me directly. 

Best regards

Jan

Jan Stothfang
B&W Software GmbH
rdevaux
6-Contributor
(To:jstothfang)

Thanks Jan, I appreciate you sharing your experience with me.

I do think this is a very short sighted on PTC's part, and we shouldn't have to go to a 3rd party solution for this.

If PTC is serious about trying to move people into MBD, without giving them the tools to easily incorporate MBD into their legacy data, then they're just setting themselves, and their customers, up for failure.  After all, One of their biggest selling points is reuse of data.  So how are the customers going to reuse data if it they don't have an easy way to add all of the new MBD layers, combination states, schema, etc. to that legacy data? 

I saw MBD as a possible way of streamlining our tool designs, but there is no way I can just throw away 25 years of existing designs that we would have been able to reuse to stay competitive.  I hope PTC realizes what a mistake there making, soon.

Rob

Top Tags