cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

How do dimension a chamfer in a drawing?

fdefilippi
1-Newbie

How do dimension a chamfer in a drawing?

I just started using the creo drawings package (not impressed BTW)  and no where do I see the capabilities to add a chamfer dimension on a drawing.  Does Creo have this ability like Inventor/Solidworks/SolidEdge?

Frank

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:fdefilippi)

If you created the chamfer using the chamfer feature, simply show your dimensions for that feature or view.

Go to the annotate tab, select the SHOW MODEL ANNOTATIONS icon, make sure dimension is selected in the pop up and select the chamfer, it will show your dimension.

Judging by your question, you are likely creating all your dimension in your drawing. You may want to learn a little about showing model dimensions instead of creating all your dimensions.

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
StephenW
23-Emerald II

If you created the chamfer using the chamfer feature, simply show your dimensions for that feature or view.

Go to the annotate tab, select the SHOW MODEL ANNOTATIONS icon, make sure dimension is selected in the pop up and select the chamfer, it will show your dimension.

Judging by your question, you are likely creating all your dimension in your drawing. You may want to learn a little about showing model dimensions instead of creating all your dimensions.

Why do I need to go back to the model, I don't understand?  If I want to place a chamfer dim there is no option in te drawing mode of Creo?  thats doesn't make sense, every CAD package I've ever used has that feature its drawing module.    what about a hole note I can't find that  as wel? 

StephenW
23-Emerald II

1. did you create the chamfer as a chamfer feature? If so, DON'T go back to the model.

2. IN THE DRAWING, go to the annotate tab, select the SHOW MODEL ANNOTATIONS icon, make sure dimension is selected in the pop up and select the chamfer, it will show your dimension.

3. If you created the hole with hole feature, you can show the hole note the same way. In fact, you can show all your dimensions you used in your model.

You really need to go through basic CREO drawing training. CREO is not a software you learn in an hour of playing with it like solidworks, solidedge, inventor. You either need training or you need a good mentor, otherwise you are likely making a big mess.

Frank, It makes perfect sense when you realize that ProE/Creo is a primitive, unusable Piece of shit. Works great if you need to put a round hole in a square block but anything more complex than that and you are out of luck. Some moron in my organization thought it was a good idea to save $10 and switch us from the most advanced CAD package in the industry (NX) and our productivity has decreased 30%. Good Luck

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:eeardley)

I'll bet they switched you with no training, saying that experienced users should pick this up easily. I'm surprised you productivity loss is only 30%! I predicted and had management build into their schedules a 15% loss average for the first year after moving to Pro/E and that was with training.

When a past corporate decision forced us to change from UG V18, they had already told us we could not upgrade, to Pro/E 2001, we put every user through 13 days of training. 10-15 per class and stickered the classes over 4-12 weeks, depending on the group of users. The engineering group could have gone out for lunch every Friday with the money (nickel per cuss at Pro/E) collected!

jme
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:BenLoosli)

Training... we don't need no stinking training... we're not going to pay for no stinking training

Of course our employees are grinding us to a hault

jme
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:eeardley)

yup you can say that.  Started a new job, no other Creo users except me, no training provided, they figured that if I know SolidWorks, Inventor and SolidEdge( which is a POS as well) I could just learn it by myself.  My productivity has dropped to zero or let me put it this way, its going on week two on creating a detail drawing, I gave up and went home and did it in SWX in less that 45minutes.   But hey my employer is saving money by not training I mean right?

StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:jme)

With no training and no mentors (or at least a hack like me), I don't see a good path to success on Creo. It's way too Unintuitive to just pick up and run with. You would really need to take the initiative and buy some books and scour the internet for tutorials. I used Solidworks only on one side project once and it was so easy to run with. Knowing Creo (pro/e really) made using solidworks a breeze. We hired a guy here once who knew our products and similar manufacturing and was an Inventor expert. He didn't last 6 months here. He just couldn't wrap his head around Creo. He gave up and went back to his former company.

jme
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:StephenW)

I'm just about there   In past interviews top question after why are you leaving your present position is how comfortable are you with xyz CAD s/w? I wasn't asked that question, it was only after I accept the offer, was I told that they couldn't find candidates with Pro-E/ Creo experience so the recruiting firm rewrote the job description as Solid Works user will be consider if willing to learn Pro-E. 

I knew Creo was a bit hard to learn and I was looking forward to adding another CAD s/w notch on my belt.  But wow, it took we weeks and weeks to model a simple block, then I started a drawing, and I can't figure out how the drafting module works.  For example, it took one day to understand how to place hole centerlines.  Sectional views, I still can't figure it out.  GT&D, no idea what I'm doing and adding a hole note, were is that command?

So basically, the s/w has crushed me down to the point of spending hours and day figuring out run of the mill commands like centerline placement, GT&D symbols, hole callouts.  That's I lose my train of thought on designing parts

StephenW
23-Emerald II

Just pulling a couple of key things out of your response:

"couldn't find candidates with Pro-E/ Creo experience"...so that tells you there is $$ in experience with Pro/e and possibly opportunities with a limited pool of applicants.

"a bit hard to learn" ... now that's an understatement, I've never heard anyone say, wow, that was so easy in pro/e.

"I can't figure out how the drafting module works"

Drawings are an art in Pro/e. Once you know how, it's not difficult and you can add mapkeys to speed up common processes, but learning the ins and outs of the drawing package is a pain you'll never forget.

jme
1-Newbie
1-Newbie

The main argument I read is on this board,

"Creo is a difficult program to master, typically 6-9 months,  but once you know it you'll make better designs than most CAD packages."

Maybe I should print that statement out and hang in on my office wall in big letters or hand that to my manager and see what his/her reaction will be.

The fact is companies, esp. small-mid size don't want to hear crap like that, they only care about how fast can our engineer get the design done and the product out the door so we can bring in revenue. 

Fact two is a work and live 3 towns over from PTC corp.  and I've yet to meet a user or see a company have Creo.   Job boards as well  .. Must have experience with SWX that speaks volumes.

If the tool is going to crush a company and its work force and they have to spend 3-5K on training and a 6 month learning curve, then find me a tool that does require that overhead cost.  

cmoreno
6-Contributor

Just searching for an answer here, and have to chime in about how trash this product is. It amazes me how people use it and like it and have no idea what its like to use another cad package that integrates basic windows principles. I'm having to learn this, but the more I learn, the more I think, life is too short to suffer.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:cmoreno)

Some of us have used other CAD packages and have learned to adapt to the differences.

No one is forcing you to work with Creo, go find a job using your software of choice!

Just bashing Creo does no one any good. We all have complaints about what we do for a living. If you want to be productive, then learn how the software works. There are many books and internet tutorials that will show you techniques for doing things in Creo. Offer suggestions for ways to improve the software. Ask intelligent questions without the bashing and the depth of knowledge of the user community may surprise you with an intelligent answer that will make sense, and maybe save you time.

I spent 18 years on Unigraphics before the company I worked for decided we needed to switch to Pro/E. Then they added Pro/Intralink on top of that which we then migrated to Windchill PDMLink. I have now been using Pro/Wildfire/Creo for 18 years and am a Windchill administrator for the past 15 years.

It does get easier over time!

cmoreno
6-Contributor
(To:BenLoosli)

Yeah, I have a bad attitude for sure. I will not disagree about that and others mistake that for not trying. Which from my perspective is false.

It is weird that you are on my case about bashing the software unnecessarily. 3 years ago, you were sympathetic with someone who literally called Creo a "piece of **bleep**". I felt I was much nicer, just calling it trash.

I'm on this board trying to find answers to my problems (unsuccessfully I might add) and seeing comments like that make me think its a safe space to vent a little. Guess not.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:cmoreno)

Venting is good, but add something constructive while you do it! 

I have never claimed that PTC products are perfect. In some cases I have called them trash and in need of an update. I doubt that will change. But PTC is trying to improve the product, not always to the likes of their customers, but they do try. Sometimes they get it right, sometimes they miss and have to try again. They are no alone in that regard. I had some very private battles with Unigraphics development over some added features that should have prevented a release from going out, but it was released anyway. The users fought with the development team's mistake for some time before the next release fixed it.

If you want answers, then ask a question that can be answered. There are many on here how may have already run across your situation and solved it.

DANIEL_MD
4-Participant

That's what I hate about experts giving answers. They only cover a part, ( the easy way that makes the software look good), of the vast ways to do something.

Ok expert. What about models you pull into a drawing view that are Solid Surface, Imported from a SW model, or whatever

PTC can't call it.  How do you dimension those that have no features in the SHOW MODEL ANNOTATIONS?

StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:DANIEL_MD)

@DANIEL_MD 

You'll likely get much better answers if you make a new post with your specific question instead of adding a comment to a "solved" post.

Add pictures if possible and details of what you are starting with and what you want to do. 

With respect to imported models, if you are trying to detail them in creo, you will need to create all your dimensions from within the drawing, for example, a chamfer, I would use a note with a leader.  Detailing a drawing of an imported model will be a very tedious process, not something I would enjoy doing but sometimes necessary.

kdirth
20-Turquoise
(To:DANIEL_MD)

You can create the dimension wanted in a couple of steps.

• Create the dimensions needed (angle and/or distance)
  • Create leader note, inserting created dimensions as needed to create desired call out.
  • Erase created dimensions, if needed.

To copy dimension into drawing note add '&' before dimension name.  Name can be found by hovering mouse over dimension or by selecting Switch Dimensions button. kdirth_3-1704899378598.png 

kdirth_0-1704899117073.png 

kdirth_1-1704899150647.png

There is always more to learn in Creo.
Michael
12-Amethyst

1. Dimensioning a Chamfer in a Drawing:
• If the chamfer was created using the chamfer feature in Creo, dimensions can be shown directly in the drawing.
• In the drawing, go to the annotate tab and select the “Show Model Annotations” icon.
• Ensure that “dimension” is selected in the pop-up, and then select the chamfer to show your dimensions.
2. Understanding Creo’s Approach:
• Creo’s method of showing dimensions, including chamfers, in drawings relies on annotations made in the model. This might differ from other CAD systems where dimensions are often added directly in the drawing mode.
3. Dealing with Imported or Surface Models:
• For models imported from other CAD systems (like SolidWorks) or models that are surface or solid without features, the traditional method of showing model annotations might not work as there are no features to select.
• In such cases, manual dimensioning in the drawing might be necessary. This involves using the drawing tools in Creo to create dimensions directly on the drawing views.

~ CreoVerse

Michael P Bourque
Top Tags