cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

How is it possible to update excisting models if the start model has changed?

hhagedorn
6-Contributor

How is it possible to update excisting models if the start model has changed?

Hey Folks,

we made some changes at our start model. Especially we added some new normal parameters and some restricted parameters to the start model.

Is there a Chance to update the excisting models with the new Parameters, if the user want it. (In some cases it isn't necessary)

I tried it with the export and Import function in the parameters, but it doesn't work. The parameters were not imported.

Is there any help about this question?

Thanks for help

Heiko

9 REPLIES 9
jvadalia
4-Participant
(To:hhagedorn)

Hi,

There are 2 options:-

1) Copy the parameters from your start part and paste it in to your current part.

2) If you are using tree column options to display the parameters. then you will get the direct option to edit the parameter. When you try to edit that parameter in your current part it will get created directly. Please see the attached screen shot

sdfsdfsf.PNG

But i think in your case Copy Paste parameters are the easiest way, If details are limited to parameters only. If you want all the contents like Datums, Views, Relations, etc. of start part then you have to start with scratch.

Regards,

Jimmy

hhagedorn
6-Contributor
(To:jvadalia)

Hey Jimmy,

thank you for your qiuck answer!

Sometimes it's easier than I thought. The copy and paste Version works fine.

But you already had a premonition. I have also new Relations and combined views in the start model what i want to transfer.

So I don't know how? And i can't understand what your are meaning with " ... you have to start with scratch." ?

Heiko

jvadalia
4-Participant

I mean to say you have to copy relations same as parameters but if you have made any changes in datums and views in start part then it will be better to start with fresh new model with new template that you modified.

Please mark the answer correct if you got the solution.

Regards,

Jimmy

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Another option is to create a mapkey that will add the new parameters and relations to any file.

hhagedorn
6-Contributor
(To:BenLoosli)

Ben Loosli

jignesh vadalia

thanks for all your help.

It's correct that we can creat a mapkey, ... but it seems for me it isn't the smartest solution.

We all know a mapkey isn't a stable solution, ... when changing the Software Version.

By the way, ... i did not test it, but for all dudes who are looking for a similar solution. Here in germany i found a 3rd party Software from the platinum Partner INNEO, it calls "GENIUS TOOLS Model Processor". This Software seems to be the solution to this Problem.

Regards Heiko

For parts, if you export your start_part as a neutral file (*.neu), you can import it into any part and the parameters come along.  If the same parameter already exists, it is ignored.  I believe it also brings in layers and layer status, but not relations.  Once imported, you can delete the resulting import feature and the parameters (and layer) remain.

I've created the *.neu file in our templates directory and created a mapkey to automate the process, which works great.

There's no shortcut that I've found for assemblies.  I've created a mapkey to add the parameters to an assy. one at a time, but if it encounters a duplicate it fails.  I've build a pause into the mapkey that prompts the user to delete any duplicate parameters before proceeding.

For relations, unfortunately, it's not easy to automate.  I've created a mapkey that opens a text file of our standard relations in Notepad and opens the relations editor in Creo, then prompting the user to copy and paste the relations.  Less automated than I would like, but it works fairly well.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

Doug,

Try this - instead of opening Notepad:

(from http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/14770/copy-text-file-or-directory-into-clipboard-from-command-line/)

Copy Text File or Directory into Clipboard from Command Line

Posted May 24, 2011 by David Kirk in Windows

Pushing a file, directory listing, or other text into the clipboard from the command line is very clever and useful.

In all modern versions of Windows, you can pipe information to clip to push text into the clipboard. Here are some examples:

To copy a text file into the clipboard:

type textfile.txt | clip

Ooh, I like that.  I'll have to rework my mapkey and text file, but that's a much cleaner solution.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

If you want to simply replace part's relations, then this mapkey works (Creo 3):

(warning! it will replace any existing relations with the contents of the file my_relations.txt):

mapkey update_part_relations @MAPKEY_NAMEUpdates the relations of the model\nto \

mapkey(continued) match the company standard;@MAPKEY_LABELUpdate part relations;\

mapkey(continued) ~ Command `ProCmdMmRels` ;~ Select `relation_dlg` `MenuBar1` 1 `File`;\

mapkey(continued) ~ Close `relation_dlg` `MenuBar1`;~ Activate `relation_dlg` `PBRead`;\

mapkey(continued) ~ Input `file_open` `Inputname` `C:\\temp\\long_directory_name\

mapkey(continued) \\my_relations.txt`;\

mapkey(continued) ~ Command `ProFileSelPushOpen@context_dlg_open_cmd` ;\

mapkey(continued) ~ Activate `relation_dlg` `PB_OK`;

Top Tags