cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

How to Delete an "Invisible" View by View Name only?

ScottPearson
3-Visitor

How to Delete an "Invisible" View by View Name only?

Is there a way to delete a view "by name" instead of seleting the actual view (view frame) in the field of the drawing?

Here's why I ask:

1. I am trying to delete a Model from a drawing because no views within the drawing are based upon that Model.

2. When trying to delete the Model, ProE won't let me citing that the Model is referenced by one or more views. (Even though no visible views are referencing that Model.)

3. Although the error message in #2 above does not tell me which view(s) are referencing the Model that I am trying to delete, I suspect the view is named "new_view_15" because the drawing gives me this message when opening the file:

"The alignment reference geometry for the view new_view_15, on sheet -1, is missing."

4. Since there is no "new_view_15" visible on my drawing, I suspect it is the invisible view that is referencing the Model that I am trying to delete.

5. I am hoping that I can delete the bogus "new_view_15" and then delete the Model that I no longer need to reference.

Sooooooo..., does anyone know of a way to delete a view "by name" instead of by actually selecting the view in the field of the drawing?

TIA.

WF4 m210

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
5 REPLIES 5

It may seem odd for me to say this, but have you checked other sheets?

Also I do believe that you  an use the search tool for a view name search.

>

Hi Scott.
I am back at WF4 too and I miss the drawing tree from WF5 and beyond.
As far as I can see the search options do not include view name so my quick
experiments are:

- Check each sheet.
- You can slowly mouse over the area and any view will pop up as a
rectangle with its name even if there is nothing in it. Don't
know if this
applies to erased or deleted views.
- Rectangle select the whole area of the sheet and a bit beyond.
Everything selectable will show up and you go visually hunting for a
highlighted rectangle with nothing in it. Unfortunately if you
mouse over
this it shows a selection ID rather than a view name
- Possibly use a config option *highlight_erased_dwg_views*. If the view
in question was erased and not deleted then this might show it up. Have
not used it but sounds promising. I guess if a view is erased rather thaqn
deleted the drawing still knows it has existed and could keep the link
open. Worth a crack.

Regards,
Brent Drysdale

Brent,

if nothing helps, try to create a little Weblink or JLink program which lists You all views in a drawing. You might even add a link there to erase the selected view.

I have such a tool, but unfortunately it is linked to other libraries and thus not easy to share. However, it's quite straightforward...

dgallup
4-Participant
(To:ScottPearson)

Have you tried setting the model you want to delete as active and then set model display to "Hilite Cur"? That should put a rectangle around any views using the model.

In Reply to Scott Pearson:

Is there a way to delete a view "by name" instead of seleting the actual view (view frame) in the field of the drawing?

Here's why I ask:

1. I am trying to delete a Model from a drawing because no views within the drawing are based upon that Model.

2. When trying to delete the Model, ProE won't let me citing that the Model is referenced by one or more views. (Even though no visible views are referencing that Model.)

3. Although the error message in #2 above does not tell me which view(s) are referencing the Model that I am trying to delete, I suspect the view is named "new_view_15" because the drawing gives me this message when opening the file:

"The alignment reference geometry for the view new_view_15, on sheet -1, is missing."

4. Since there is no "new_view_15" visible on my drawing, I suspect it is the invisible view that is referencing the Model that I am trying to delete.

5. I am hoping that I can delete the bogus "new_view_15" and then delete the Model that I no longer need to reference.

Sooooooo..., does anyone know of a way to delete a view "by name" instead of by actually selecting the view in the field of the drawing?

TIA.

WF4 m210

PTC quality philosophy: We've upped our quality standards. Up yours.

body{font-family: Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;font-size:9pt;background-color: #ffffff;color: black;}
Scott,
My trick is to set the model you want to delete as the current model, then select "Model Disp" and "Hilite Cur" and it will highlight in a purple frame all views that are based on the current model. Then search through the pages to find the view causing the issue (zoom out in case it is outside the format somewhere). You should be able to select that view and delete.
Regards,
Jeff
5. How to Delete an "Invisible" View by View Name only? (Scott Pearson)From: Scott Pearson
Subject: How to Delete an "Invisible" View by View Name only?
Here's why I ask:
TIA.
WF4 m210
Top Tags