cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

How to collect Creo BOM Balloons

Doss
4-Participant

How to collect Creo BOM Balloons

As I posted some of the challending topics in my previous posts. This topic is also on the radar for a long time. Wondering is this something possible with Creo.

We would like to collect the parametric BOM balloons qty across the drawing sheets and match them with the BOM table in the first sheet. Currently there is no direct API avilable.

I would like to hear more feedback.

Thanks

Doss

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
6 REPLIES 6
kimndave9
1-Newbie
(To:Doss)

I've done this manually into Excel for the same reason - to validate that all the balloons are accounted for.

In my case I include the sheet and zone information for an index to show that each PL item has a purpose. Auto balloons aren't that good at locating two screws assembled into the same hole, or that in only nine of ten places screws are flagged to be assembled with locking compound - yes, note flags are also included in the list.

rhegde
1-Newbie

Murugadoss,

One of my customers had a similar requirement. Customer had balloon numbers
stored in a table on a specific layer of ProE drawing. Customer wanted to
automatically update the find numbers in BOM using balloon numbers from
ProE drawing.

The solution was achieved through a custom ProE cad worker built using
toolkit (on PTC CAD worker framework - remoteworker). When ProE drawing was
published, custom ProE cad worker used to generate a text file containing
balloon table information (along with other representations). The text file
along with other representation files were uploaded as representation.
Drawing release process then used to synchronize find numbers on BOM by
parsing the text file.

--
RH

On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 3:10 AM, Murugadoss Balasubramanian
<->wrote:

> As I posted some of the challending topics in my previous posts. This
> topic is also on the radar for a long time. Wondering is this something
> possible with Creo.
>
> We would like to collect the parametric BOM balloons qty across the
> drawing sheets and match them with the BOM table in the first sheet.
> Currently there is no direct API avilable.
>
> In the past, we've created a ticket with PTC and I've also filed a
> enhancement request but no luck still, one more time, I am trying to resume
> this topic. I would like to hear more feedback.
>
> Thanks
>
> Doss
>
>
>
Doss
4-Participant

David, Can you please let me know - how do you capture or export the BOM balloon qty information to the spreadsheet.

Thanks

Doss

Doss
4-Participant

RH and all,

FV
17-Peridot
17-Peridot

Hi all,

Doss,

Your best bet is to use a detail symbol with variable text instead of BOM balloon functionality. The API's relating to manipulating symbol instance text are well defined and there are a lot of examples in the user manual. Variable text of the symbols should be link to component level or model level paramters depending on if modification of parts/subassemblies is allowed. The same set of parameters should be used in BOM table instead of rp.index and rpt.qty ( there are a number ofTPI articles on PTC support site). API's related to parameter manipulation are well defined as well. Dealing with the quantities per sheet/view - I would use simplified representations either unique to a sheet or to a view - Pro/Toolkit app to count components andtomodify variable text in balloon symbol instance.

HIH.

Feliks.

In Reply to Murugadoss Balasubramanian:

RH and all,

Doss
4-Participant

Feliks and all,

Thank you all for the suggestions and feedback. I need to go back to our standards team and recommend some of them and if possible, change the way we create the BOM information on the drawing.

Top Tags