cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

How to make Table Text Styles stick?

SolidPerks
1-Newbie

How to make Table Text Styles stick?

I'm working on our company drawing template, making revisions, and needing to move data from one row to the next in a rev table in the title block. I was retyping, but that is REAL old now, and there has to be a better way. We limit revs to only show the last 4, and the table only shows ECN numbers, no description, so the table size doesn't change.

I can now add a row to the top, and delete the bottom row, thus shifting the existing revs and leaving me a blank row for new rev info. Why, oh why, doesn't the new row assume the text style of every other row in the table? At first I thought, OK someone didn't set the text style at the table level, so I did that. Then I rebuilt, saved, and tried editing the cell to add my new info... it lost the table test style I had just set & saved.

This shouldn't be a difficult task for table functionality, what am I missing? What should I check/set to make new rows come in at the existing table text style?

...trying to make some lemonade here...

I have discovered that my Table & Cell text styles do not match. Can anyone confirm if the table text style will override the cell text style? Or, is it vice-versa? Which has priority?

Thanks!

15 REPLIES 15

I want to know this too. I have tried doing the same thing and just gave up.

At our company we insert new one row tables and just line up the top one to the bottom one so it looks like a milti-row rev block. It's a pretty dumb way to do it, but it's easier than resetting all of the text settings for a new line. I waste a lot of time zooming all of the way in to click really close to get the tables to look like they line up. (Why isn't there a snap feature for table points?)

Anyways, if someone has a fix for this I would be grateful too.

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:SolidPerks)

I THOUGHT it used to work like that, but, yes, it's the same for me in creo elements/pro 5.0.......

TomU
23-Emerald IV

If you figure it out, let me know! My experience has been that table formatting only applies to cells that are not "empty". To make it even more difficult, you can't copy from one cell to another unless the destination cell is "empty". So annoying.

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:TomU)

By the way, simply viewing the contents of a cell (right click, properties or simply double click) will make the cell no longer empty. A single space character is automatically added. You can prove this by right clicking on the cell and seeing if the "delete contents" option shows up. It only shows up if the cell has some contents.

TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot
(To:TomU)

You would think that any software could assign a text style to either rows or columns as a default for newly added lines.

Maybe repeat regions is the only way you can do this. Shouldn't be too hard to keep a 4 line running revision history in parameters.

make_parameters_from_fmt_tables (yes) in config.pro

StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:lheiden)

Does this work for you? I tried it and it's not copying the text styles for the newly added row from the existing row??

Maybe I'm missing something?

SO FAR it's working, I changed my *.frm file after I made the change to my config.pro

oops, my bad, its not working,,,,nuts

mender
6-Contributor

The recent posts made me notice this thread.  To confirm what people figured out, tables/rows/columns/cells don't have text styles, it's the note in the cell that does.  It could be a useful project to make the concept of a text style for an empty cell, meaning 'if we make a note here, and it doesn't have an inherent format, use this', and one for the table/table-segment, saying if new cells are created here, they should get this format.  To advocate for this potential project, either find an existing product idea, or if none exists, make one.

StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:mender)

Here's one idea   Text Styles and Drawing Tables - Worth your vote!!!

There are probably more and  I didn't do an exhaustive search but it has 73 votes already.

StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:StephenW)

maybe one more with links to other ideas in it

Add Excel functionality to Tables in Creo Drawings

TracyWillis
5-Regular Member

The Cell Formatting (for new Columns & Rows) is reverting back to the DTL settings of (default_font, text_height) that were active when the table was initially created. Whatever those values were set to when the table was created is what the new cells will be formatted as.  

Even if you set everything like you want it in the table and export a table for an Insert > Table From File> later on in some other session the new lines and rows will ignore the current session DTL settings and default back to the settings that were active when that table was initially created. Which, of course is Dumb.  

I wrote a mapkey for placing new tables at a specific X,Y location in the drawing for when I have to add or replace an entire table,  and I have a second sequence for setting the text justification to (middle center) in the event their formatted with a left justification.

hope the helps - & STUFF

Tw

I tried what you typed to my C and D size *.frm files, Your logic appears to work, thanks for the tip!

There is a way to create a default text style for a table that is different than the default text style used in a drawing or drawing format. Create a new empty format or drawing. Before creating the table modify the default text style to the text style you want for each new row added to the table. Create the table and set the default row height. The default row height will control the height of additional rows added to the table. For each column, right click and select "Text Style" and set it to the default; set your text horizontal and vertical positions; click "Apply" and close the Text Style window. Perform any alterations you want (individual row height, etc.) and place any labels in the table. Save the table. The table can now be inserted into another format or drawing and each new row added will use the default font and text position when the table was initially created.

Top Tags