Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to prevent user from manually changing release field on drawing

Highlighted

How to prevent user from manually changing release field on drawing

On our standard drawing format there is a table cell that shows release level (WIP, check, release) through a relation to the life cycle parameter.  I recently had a case where a user bypassed the tool administrator by breaking the relation to the life cycle parameter and simply writing "Release" in the cell.  Is there a way to prevent a user from modifying cell contents either through password protection or permissions in CREO?

I'm using CREO Parametric 2.0

13 REPLIES 13

Re: How to prevent user from manually changing release field on drawing

Ultimately, no.  You can slow them down though...  Some things to try:

• Place the a note to the life cycle parameter directly on the format.  This won't be editable from a drawing (only from the format.)
  • Consider using a single cell repeat region in the drawing table.  This is not as easily overwritten.

Any pro|program tricks that can throw a user a curve ball?

I remember something like that stopping someone dead in their tracks before.

What about restricted parameter in combination with Modelcheck ? --- just an idea

Restricted:

- parameter is restricted to following values: WIP, check, release

Modelcheck:

- each part/assembly have to include your specific relation for "release" else it´s not possible to check-in model

Just an idea

I don't think this will help.  The issue here is not the value of the parameter but rather the removal of the parameter entirely from the table cell (overwritten with plain text.)  The original parameter did not change, it's just not visible anymore.

None come to mind.  Again, the issue is not the value of the parameter, it's whether or not that parameter is still being displayed on the drawing.

Tom,

How do you link the lifecycle parameter (&ptc_wm_lifecycle_state) though a format of the drawing through a note? Won't it just reflect the Format parameter instead of the Drawing parameter? I would be a big fan of this functionality as it would let admins update all drawings quickly and easily if there was ever a change to the standard drawing format as well as getting rid of a lot of tampering. We left our company logo as a symbol on the format for that same reason. I did some testing with this but have been unsuccessful as the note doesn't do anything or would link to the format parameter instead of the drawing parameters.

Add a NOTE to the format with the desired parameter...

format_drawing_parameter_1.jpg

Notice how it's reflecting the FORMAT parameter value. We've customized our states to have Production rather than Released.

format_drawing_parameter_2.jpg

The format note is still reflecting the format parameter not my test drawing.

format_drawing_parameter_3.jpg

If that does work, that seems like it would stop most people from tampering with it especially if they don't have access to modify the formats.

We currently stamp our PDF's afterwards to reflect the Windchill states and ECN's but it's not my favorite as people inside of Windchill/Creo don't get to see the stamp. It also required quite a bit of customization.

format_drawing_parameter_4.jpg

When you put the &PTC_WM_LIFECYCLE_STATE on the drawing, you need to tell it to pull the value from the drawing: &PTC_WM_LIFECYCLE_STATESmiley Very Happy.

If you want the Lifecycle state of the first model in the drawing, use: &PTC_WM_LIFECYCLE_STATE:1.

I should've clarified... I tried both &PTC_WM_LIFECYCLE_STATE and &PTC_WM_LIFECYCLE_STATESmiley Very Happy in a Note on the FORMAT but the 'Smiley Very Happy' gets removed to as soon as unselecting the note.

Lucas,  try adding :MDL after the parameter inside the note.   This is supposed to force it to look for the model parameter.   Might help