cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

How to show dimensions both in model and drawing

jzhang-3
3-Visitor

How to show dimensions both in model and drawing

After done Annotation > Show Model Annotation in drawing, I did Annotate > Show Annotations in model, all of dimensions shown up in model are disappeared from drawing. It seems the dimensions only can be shown in one of them.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Jack, the only thing I can think of is that orientation in the model is driving the valid orientation in the drawing. In my test, I was able to show the driving dimension in both the model and drawing without issue. You might consider putting in a support case and see if you get an answer as to why your attempt is behaving this way.

What version of CReo are you using?

I find the annotation dialog and results very troubling. I don't think twice about adding driven dimensions or symbol datum tags in my drawings. The entire dialog is simply too much work when you are trying to get a piece of paper out. None of my clients care what it looks like in CAD, just what is says to the shop floor.

Organizations put in a lot of effort when they demand fully detailed drawings using only driving dimensions. I simply cannot justify this for my projects. Even the ASME Y14.41 model detailing is much more work than most rational people can justify in Creo. The implementation is simply far from complete.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

I had to test that one.

The idea is that it is already shown in the model so when you create an appropriate view for the dimension, the dimension is already shown on the drawing so there is nothing to "show" with the annotation dialog.

What could be the problem is that the dimension is actually erased or there is no view for the dimension to show up in properly. In the drawing, select the annotation tab and see the model tree. Expand the Annotations header and see if your dimension is there and grayed out. That means it has been erased.

There are so many things that could be happening, I am just shooting in the dark. I am on Creo 2.0 and it seems to be working the way I described above.

Antonius, thanks a lot.

I want to show only a few key dimensions in model for snapshot, and show most dimensions in drawing. As you indicated they are grayed out. I did Annotation > Show Model Annotation in model casually, in fact it converted picked dimensions into Driving Dimension Annotation Elements (DDAE), DDAE will show only one in drawing view. I have to deleted DDAE from model for more free showing in drawing.

Jack, the only thing I can think of is that orientation in the model is driving the valid orientation in the drawing. In my test, I was able to show the driving dimension in both the model and drawing without issue. You might consider putting in a support case and see if you get an answer as to why your attempt is behaving this way.

What version of CReo are you using?

I find the annotation dialog and results very troubling. I don't think twice about adding driven dimensions or symbol datum tags in my drawings. The entire dialog is simply too much work when you are trying to get a piece of paper out. None of my clients care what it looks like in CAD, just what is says to the shop floor.

Organizations put in a lot of effort when they demand fully detailed drawings using only driving dimensions. I simply cannot justify this for my projects. Even the ASME Y14.41 model detailing is much more work than most rational people can justify in Creo. The implementation is simply far from complete.

Anonius, you are right! My Creo is M60.

I added some GTOLs in drawing and then converted into DDAE in model, added and deleted GTOL mess up.

After I clean up, DDAE show correctly both in model and drawing.

Thank you and have a good weekend.

Top Tags