cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Import/Export STEP file naming and other oddities

SteveBarnhart
5-Regular Member

Import/Export STEP file naming and other oddities

Hi all,

I've been importing a number of .stp assemblies into Wildfire 4 lately and I'm wondering why ProE creates an extra assembly level on import. For example, if I have a 1001.stp (assembly) it will open as 1001.asm containing 1001_asm.asm. The 1001_asm.asm contains the downlevel parts, so the 1001.asm seems redundant.

Is it a setting in ProE or is it the way the .stp was generated?

Also, when I generate .stp files of anything that has acrossection defined ProE seems to create a surface feature block between the cross-section and component boundary. The feature is called "import feature" when I reopen the .stp in ProE and is assembled at the top of the model tree. Any way to get rid of this when generating STEPs?

Thanks!

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3

Ok, I solved part of this - the surface "import feature"was createdsince I had shells selected in addition to solids. Solids only = no strange features for cross-sections.

Also, for exporting .stp files, I found I could control the names better by using the step_config.pro option export_3d_force_default_naming = yes. Otherwise, I was getting suffixes added to every component name.

I still would like to know why ProE creates a redundant assembly level when it opens .stp assemblies.

If the original part/assembly was from CATIA, they may have created the
extra ass'y there.

CATIA has 'part' and 'product' models. Our customers usually export the
'product' to us even though it may be a single part.(???)

The incoming .STEP file comes in as an assembly, with the top level
including only a csys (as a transform) to airplane position.

I think you may be able to tweak the STEP import in config.pro to
eliminate some of the problems...

Christopher F. Gosnell

FPD Company

124 Hidden Valley Road

McMurray, PA 15317

Is the 'step_config.pro' a special config file or just a standard
config.pro that you've created with only the STEP options? Can I put
the 'export_3d_force_default_naming = yes' in my regular config.pro?

Doug Schaefer
--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
Top Tags