cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Increasing surface patches when exporting in STEP/IGES format

MauroStefanovic
4-Participant

Increasing surface patches when exporting in STEP/IGES format

Hello,

kindly anyone has a suggestion to export this cad model increasing surface patches? I need more curves on that surfaces.

I tried common option about step_config.pro and other options but with no results.

Thank you!

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
4 REPLIES 4

Typically, only facet files will have control of the number of triangles generated to show smoothness. Facet files are not very good for subsequent work, however.

Step is probably the most portable and accurate 3D export/import file followed by X_T. IGES is a close industry runner up. Surfaces are not defined by patches but rather surface conditions.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

Our CAM operator which uses Esprit Auton says that with more patches he can measure better radii, especially where radii are variable. In step format can i eventually export metadata? Thank you?

I would think the machining software would know how to follow surfaces without additional patches.

You could try providing section curves (create datum curve from cross sections) in the export file and see if this is sufficient.

Otherwise you could go overboard and break up the part and assemble it and export smaller piece parts as an assembly, where the two would make one part. Kinda silly to have to, but whatever the customer wants, right?

Oh, and you can also project curves from sketches onto surfaces.

Top Tags