cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Introduction to Sloppy Cad..

PetePickettII
12-Amethyst

Introduction to Sloppy Cad..

I needed a quick place to vent. I recently went thru Solidworks training and played with NX 7.0. I have been an end-user of Pro/E since vs. 11, almost 20 years. What I saw in these other packages was a fundimental flaw that I think PTC might be falling into. I am referring to the loss of unconstrained sketches and not using an intent manager. Even in simple sketches in NX and Solidworks, you do not have to add constraints or dimensions. Is anyone seeing the use in this? All of us work on each others models and we tend call out a poor user very easily by their intent and references in their models, even though Pro/E automatically puts them there. However, if you use, what I am terming as "Sloppy CAD" packages, you would be able to find models that easily blow up because there are no constraints or dimension locking down simple modifications. Who does this really help if your company or Sloppy CAD package allows you to make production models that require days to modify & fix if they were not done properly. You can go on Youtube and download videos on how to model in other cad packages and when you see them allow unconstrained sketches, you should immediatly know this is really not a good idea for future modifications.

PTC has a really good thing going with its current modelling software. I ask that they do not break it by allowing unconstrained sketches to occur in future releases of the base package. To the everyday end user it will be painful to modify. And remember that the first person to model something will never be the only person to modify it. Sloppy CAD packages do not care about this, I know that PTC does. Keep up the good work.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
0 REPLIES 0
Top Tags