cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Is there a way to link a parameter to text from sheet format that isn't part of a table?

BriGuy
11-Garnet

Is there a way to link a parameter to text from sheet format that isn't part of a table?

I'm trying to update our sheet format to have values in a note that are driven from the part parameter.  The only way I've found to do this is having the parameter string in a table such as when setting up a title block. 

For example, if I want the description from the part to show on the drawing in a spot other than the title block, I have to have the &description in a table and that would be driven by the Description in the part.  Can I do this without using a table?  When I use a note, it just reads the string name entered in the sheet format and doesn't change to any value that I assign in the part.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@BriGuy wrote:

I'm trying to update our sheet format to have values in a note that are driven from the part parameter.  The only way I've found to do this is having the parameter string in a table such as when setting up a title block. 

For example, if I want the description from the part to show on the drawing in a spot other than the title block, I have to have the &description in a table and that would be driven by the Description in the part.  Can I do this without using a table?  When I use a note, it just reads the string name entered in the sheet format and doesn't change to any value that I assign in the part.

Hi,

you can use following procedure ...

1. in format file > create a table containing one cell
  2. put &parname into the cell
  3. change size of the cell ... with & height = 0.001
  4. now table is present & borders are "invisible"...

Martin Hanák

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
KenFarley
21-Topaz I
(To:BriGuy)

I didn't know this was the case. Kind of annoying.

I thought you might be able to put in a table then blank all the lines in it, but that doesn't work, either. You can't blank the outer border lines of a table, or alter its lines in any way, at least that's how it seems in Creo 4. Format definition, like many aspects of the drawing area of Creo, is really very archaic and has worked pretty much the same for many years.

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:BriGuy)

It helps to remember that format notes live in the format while format tables are actually copied from the format to the drawing when the format is applied (or reapplied).  The notes in the format can only "see" the format itself.  They cannot see or access model information from the drawing.  Tables on the other hand can access model parameters and other information from the drawing since they exist in the drawing.  Hopefully that makes sense...

@BriGuy wrote:

Hi,

you can use following procedure ...

1. in format file > create a table containing one cell
  2. put &parname into the cell
  3. change size of the cell ... with & height = 0.001
  4. now table is present & borders are "invisible"...

Martin Hanák

That is a nice trick. I would have thought that reducing the height of the table would have made the whole table invisible, just gone and impossible to click on. Cool.

Thanks for the tip Martin.  I never would have thought of trying that.

Top Tags