cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Is there a way to set a dimension in sketcher to be the minimum value that will still allow a feature to generate?

npoppe
1-Newbie

Is there a way to set a dimension in sketcher to be the minimum value that will still allow a feature to generate?

I have a sketch setup with relations to change with whatever values a user wants to input in the parameters. At certain parameters, however, the sheetmetal feature will fail to generate. There are an infinite number of parameter combinations that someone could enter, so finding what certain dimensions need to be for each combination is impossible. I can leave some dimensions as weak in the sketch and that will allow any combination of parameters to work, but I want one of the dimensions to be as small as possible. Is there any way for me to define that dimension to be the minimum allowable?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3

I don't know of a fully-automated way to achieve this, but you could try using the 'Modify' tool (Editing section of the Sketch tab), and spin the slider wheel thingy until the dimension won't go any smaller.

sketch_modify_tool.png

if depth <0

depth = 1

endif

Directly in sketcher, could be tricky but you can try a logic argument...

If((parameter<0)0.1, parameter)

And you could replace the parameter with a measure feature...

And if you want to go about it a bit more long winded, you could make a first sketch that is as you currently have it, then create a measure feature of your problematic line segment... relative to a fixed datum or something so that you can be sure to capture inversion (giving you a negative value or non manifold geometry)...

Then make almost the same sketch but have a construction line/axis with a 0 distance offset that is governed by a measure feature relation...

And boom, you've got a model that has a new layer of devious regeneration errors... or it could work  

Top Tags