cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Is there any suggested export settings for going into Powermill?

pimm
14-Alexandrite

Is there any suggested export settings for going into Powermill?

Our CNC programmer is frustrated because we have a model file that is leaving openings in the IGES or STEP models for a job I released.

I have .0005 absolute tolerance; to help seal the model he has been going a lot looser than this.

Are there any good IGES or STEP settings as related with Powermill?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3

I'm not aware of any, but I'd love to hear otherwise. My only suggestion would be to try different STEP versions (it's a config option somewhere) but I don't know whether they actually handle geometry differently.

Pro/E seems to have issues with STEP (and IGES - STEP is usually more reliable) - it often imports models with holes that Catia can import as closed volumes, and here it's exporting models that another package won't close easily.  I'm starting to think that the common factor is Pro/E...

James62
10-Marble
(To:pimm)

There are plenty of configs related to import/export they usually start with intf, intf2d, intf3d, step or iges.

If you google for config.pro and these prefixes you can find lots of stuff.

pimm
14-Alexandrite
(To:James62)

So far the only thing that imported into Powermill with closed gaps was exporting an IGES as Surface.

I avoided this export because in previous geometry releases it was shown that this setting caused bad faceting in Powermill.

I haven't heard any complaint so far on faceting, but we will see.

Top Tags