cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Issue exporting DXF - mapping layers

msteffke
12-Amethyst

Issue exporting DXF - mapping layers

I am exporting a flat sheetmetal view 1:1 to dxf to send to manufacturing.    Our manufacturing program is set up for certain geometry to be on certain layers.  I am using dxf_export.pro to map layers, with reasonable success.

This file allows you to map a creo_layer to a layer in the dxf file that you define, typically a number in this case.  

Issue is that creo allows a single feature to exist on two layers at the same time.  The mapping file maps these two layers to two different numbers.   Which will it export to?

In my experience I am only getting them to export to one of the layers.  I have tried reordering the lines mapping file and it had no effect.  Has anyone dealt with this and figured out how to definitively control it?  

Why a feature to two different layers?-  The geometry in question is a cosmetic.  We use cosmetics on sheetmetal forms, the cosmetic is a simple shape, the mfg software recognizes the shape and layer, then substitutes the tool.  These cosmetics are placed on layer Cosm_Punch.  There are sometimes cosmetics we dont want.  These are general cosmetics, all_cosmetics mapped to layer 99, defined as do-not-cut in mfg software.  I am finding in some models that the features exist is layer cosm punch AND all_cosmetics.  I can't change that, I am trying to work with the models as they are.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
msteffke
12-Amethyst
(To:msteffke)

I have a working answer from tech support, sharing here:  (nice response time by PTC in this case)

This is regarding case C15590211: “xporting DXF.   usinf DXF_export.pro to map layers.   If a feature is on two differnt layers, and I have these layers mapped…”

I tested this. It’s based on the alphabetical order of the layers in the Creo drawing. The features will be placed in the earliest layer alphabetically in the Creo drawing. For example if the same features are in layers “A”, “B”, “C” in Creo, then in the DXF they will be in whatever layer corresponds with layer “A”.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
msteffke
12-Amethyst
(To:msteffke)

I have a working answer from tech support, sharing here:  (nice response time by PTC in this case)

This is regarding case C15590211: “xporting DXF.   usinf DXF_export.pro to map layers.   If a feature is on two differnt layers, and I have these layers mapped…”

I tested this. It’s based on the alphabetical order of the layers in the Creo drawing. The features will be placed in the earliest layer alphabetically in the Creo drawing. For example if the same features are in layers “A”, “B”, “C” in Creo, then in the DXF they will be in whatever layer corresponds with layer “A”.

Hey,

So, I face similar issues on a daily basis, and I use the BIMDeX plugins. These plugins help in seamless file export from Creo to AutoCAD without any disorientation. I suggest you try them.

Top Tags