cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Local broken view?

VladimirBobenic
1-Newbie

Local broken view?

Hello,

is it possible to create broken view but not through entire view but localy for some geometry?

As you see in the picture i have two pipes and i want break only the longest one.

thanks for any help

broken.png

4 REPLIES 4

The one way that I have found is to create your break above the top of the short pipe. The other thing that I have done is to create two broken views. On that shortens both and then a second to shorten the longer pipe.

Thanks, Dale

The only way to do this, assuming you just want to "shorten" the view a bit is to do what you've done and add a sketch for the break. You want the main part of the view to be a partial view, where the spline cuts only the tall tube. Next, make a second partial view, probably aligned to the main view, sketch a spline on the remaining tube. Hide the spline and sketch the "infinity" break.

Hi Antonius ,

thanks for answer can you make drawing and upload it? it will be very helpfull

thanks

So I was wrong... there is a Broken View option in Visible Area. I searched "broken view" in help and found some good examples.

I never used this until tonight but it seems pretty straight forward. I clicked the vertical line to get a horizontal break (go figure) and you get the options of what type of break line you want and how wide you want to span it (geometry vs bounds). Afterward, you can move the views around to where you want them. It took some clicking to get it where I wanted it, but it works.

Also note that I used the S-curve and I added the extra two arcs to make it a "broken cylinder". This added geometry can be related to each view to keep them in place.

Broken_view.PNG

The beauty of this process is that you are not spanning dimensions across multiple views... as you will see next:

Next was a manually created views with sketched features about the broken edge. Notice the view dialog where the spline boundry was turned off (unchecked). This is the method I have used for ages. Very useful for extensive clocked viewed that requires multiple breaks and you wish to have control over the break graphics.

Broken_view_manual.PNG

The unfortunate part of this method is trying to dimension across the two views. Definitely worth a product idea to allow this option.

Anyone have any tips for how to do make good dimensions across two views? I can make it work but it is -ugly!-

Of course, both 9.000 dims should have a break zig-zag in them to make it perfect

Note: The attached files are Creo 2.0.

Top Tags