Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MOST ANNOYING THINGS WITH CREO

Re: MOST ANNOYING THINGS WITH CREO

Ha ha, like all demos, this is of course very coloured. All examples shown are very much in favour of the free modelling approach. Note that all the free modelling changes do not interfere with any other features. What if a pocket depth changes to the extent that it crosses another feature? What if you don't want to rotate that plane around a real edge, but rather a virtual edge?

They are right about one thing though: sometimes you want design intent in your model, and sometimes you want it switched off. Being able to do that is very powerful.

As a former local PTC manager told me a dozen or so years ago: Pro/Engineer's history-based parametric CAD is not the best method, but it does ensure that your model is fully constrained and that the behaviour is predictable. Free modelling CAD is much nicer to design with, but the unconstrained-ness can lead to some very unexpected behaviour.

I believe that free modeling was pursued to satisfy engineers who didn't want to make the effort to actually learn how to use parametric modeling, or simply were unable to learn it. Now they can screw up the model by dragging geometry around without going to a proficient CAD Designer.

I can only imagine the difficulties it will cause when someone has to do some serious model changes.

Find something that needs some of your serious model changes. Get yourself to a Solid Edge demo day. Let them show you how the package deals with the difficulty, that you are experiencing. You may be surprised. I went to my day with the attitude that ProE is the best, nothing else will ever come close, I was an hour late, and it convinced me in less than 20minutes! You might just be equally surprised, but you might not be. I see that you say you have had little exposure to the package. Be advised Solid Edge is a totally different mind set.

No on screen recording device.

No upload to youtube button.

This would be handy to show the world, the dumb and unhelpful things the tools tend to do, and how inefficient Creo really can be.

My recent gripe / slow down, is that when working in Assembly mode ,and you want to select a part (sub assembly) to manipulate, you constantly have to hit "select parent" to get the whole part (sub assembly) as you brought it into Creo. I do wish that, if I brought a part (sub assembly) into an assembly, that that part (sub assembly) is treated as a part, and that it dosen't automatically select that sub-part of the part (sub assembly) I just clicked on to make my selection. I should be able to slect the part (sub assembly) like I would if I picked it out of the model tree..

If I want to select / maipulate the screw in that part (sub assembly), I should then have to select (click on) the screw twice, hold down a button, or 'drill down' on some way.

Also, it would be nice if I need to move the part (sub assembly) in the model tree, that it dosen't easily insert itself into another part (sub assembly). I find it way to easy to move a part or sub assembly into another sub assembly instead of just adding it inbetween parts (sub assemblies).

Dimesioning really did not get better in 3.0. I am sure PTC will fix it. All & all the program is great. Started in Wildfire 2.0 & it keeps getting better. Keep up the good work PTC.

Hi Francis...

Have you tried free software like Jing (http://www.techsmith.com/jing.html) You can use this to grab simple videos from Creo and quickly upload them directly to Screencast.com. You can upload videos to YouTube as well but I think Screencast is sort of "native" to Jing.

I can see your point... but I can't see adding new features to Creo just for the express purpose of making videos to upload to YouTube. I especially don't think PTC would be receptive to adding these new features so you can "show the world the dumb and unhelpful things the tools tend to do, and how inefficient Creo really can be." There's not really any "value added' in that, is there?

You're kind of tipping your hand that you're a user of some other CAD software user trying to learn Creo.

You're not going to be much traction for a low end CAD package like Solid Edge versus Creo on a Creo bulletin board.

And yes, I said LOW END. It's like comparing a riding lawn mower to a sports car. Yea, my sports car occasionally steers weird and leaks oil, but it sure blows away the riding lawn mower.

Highlighted

I officially deny the "power" of this system.

That's like... my "official" denial. I may be a bit punchy from too many meetings lately but... seriously? Why is this even a thread?

No Brian, not trying to learn Creo. I have been using Creo since WF4, about 6 years. in my family tables I use functions such as PTC_CONSTRAINT_SET for example.

I can create family table assemblies that predict basic specifications of our product range, fine tune the sub assemlies, output BOM's to Excel and add to SAP, and have specific overrides for finish, colour and material specification, without the use of Windchill.

To call Solid Edge a "low end package" is showing your naivety. You clearly have not been shown the advanced tools it has actually got.

To call Solid Edge a "low end package" is showing your naivety. You clearly have not been shown the advanced tools it has actually got.

No Brian not trying to learn it. I have been using Creo since WF4, about 6 years. in my family tables I use functions such as PTC_CONSTRAINT_SET for example.

I can create family table assemblies that predict basic specifications of our product range, fine tune the sub assemlies, output BOM's to Excel and add to SAP, and have specific overrides for finish, colour and material specification, without the use of Windchill.