Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MOST ANNOYING THINGS WITH CREO

Re: MOST ANNOYING THINGS WITH CREO

Hi Gary,

Autohotkey is an open source scripting and programming app, that can make your work in Creo or any other software running on Window much more enjoyable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AutoHotkey

If you have to work in Multi-CAD environment like me then it makes so much sense to turn all the functions you use to keyboard hotkeys. It all takes time at first, but after all the hours spent creating models and drawings it should give you back all the time to learn it and of course more onwards.

the toy was selected by TYCO electronics.

http://www.deelip.com/?p=5362

Reading is not easy.

From your own link:

"Tyco Electronics, ... , has selected SpaceClaim Engineer for concept modeling, bid modeling, and model preparation for CAE simulation." i.e. they only do limited things with this tool.

and:

"...Blake continues to insist that SpaceClaim is a complimentary product to existing CAD applications and not a replacement" Q.e.d.

that is an old link

....for concept modelling..its a wonderful tool and offcourse for geometry prep....for working with stl data...

yes its so easy it feels like a "toy"...spaceclaim has come a long way..it was choosen over cocreate at TYCO....

I'm not convinced that it's Creo_Pro-E that is to blame for your difficulty with this. Different CAD systems have different capabilities, methodologies as well as strengths and weaknesses. I think the real issue is that your methods were developed using whatever CAD system you've been using and probably learned on. The approach taken with one CAD system isn't necessarily appropriate for another one. Sure, your basic extrudes and revolves are the same...... You could reverse the entire situation and give someone who knows Creo and tell him to do the same thing with another CAD system and he'll have difficulties as well.

This is very similar reasoning as a lot of new people use, they want to try to force the CAD system to do what they think it should do rather than realizing that you have to learn how to learn and leverage what it does do. More often than not, the people who have been creating these programs know a whole lot more about it than a newby does, no matter how smart the believe they are. The biggest problem I've seen is people who think remembering the training course material is all there is to learning to utilize a CAD system, it really is just a starting point and nothing more.

Because this 'forum' is so poorly laid out, I'm gonna clarify some stuff here. (One cannot tell who reply's to what easily in here because there is no quoting... i.e. go visit a real forum or bbs, see how that works)

First, well said Daniel, trying to bring up other CAD packages in this thread is just pointless. If you learned how to do it one way in solid edge, and can't figure it out in something else, this is not remotely the subject here. This release has 99 problems and solid edge guy isn't one of em.

Secondly, is anyone from PTC in here? I'm sick of beating the horse on this, things never get fixed, nobody reply's to SOS calls, the impression is PTC does not give a rat's because I'm not Caterpiller. Creo keeps getting worse, and its not the dumb new name or the stupid ribbon, its harder and harder to use. Where are the commands hidden... why are they hidden... why do more clicks come from a quest to make less clicks... hello????

Third I am on Creo 3.0 because I spent my money to buy my massive alottment of one seat. My complaints are completely valid because I run this crap daily, and I am unheard because my support contract only lets me call India. For the record, I got some killer help from a guy in India which not only was a refreshing change, but an anomoly to the PTC way of doing business I'm sure.

FYI in the Creo launch video, I was promised a bunch of stuff I have been promised before, and it didn't happen again. This ribbon sucks, the simple removal of a modify command is dumb, and converting a pick that used to be on screen, to a carpel tunnel combo of hunt, left click, right click is backwards progress. Literally, its retarded, why don't you unlock my cage?

Can someone from PTC get in here and let us know you give a rip so we can help improve this package before it dies. You know your are losing marketshare, public perception of you is in the tank, you have one of the most powerful modelers on your hands, yet your mission is to make this software harder and harder to use. What gives here? Seriously, enlist us, we are trying to help you, the other guys are kicking your ass... wake up... get a clue... your users are dying a poor death here, give a rip would you??

I disagree, while it lends itself pretty well to working with non-parametric geometry it's also been promoted as a means to satisfy late design changes, especially for those with limited capabilities. Personally I'm not real sold on it as the best way to go for having a good model database to work with or from. If all you care about is getting the model changed, and really don't know any better, then it's probably okay. I've always felt that there's a lot of value in having models that can be reused, especially when designs are similar or follow design standards. If you have a complex model with a lot of features, and then someone did a lot of cheap and easy modifications using direct modeling, that model probably won't be very reusable. Of course, "reusable" can mean somewhat different things to different people. For me, reusable in this context is something that can be torn apart to a some extent and made into something without going thru the entire design process again, while retaining much of the design intent or design standards, and preferably also have most of drawing as well. Quite a bit of time, and as we all know, time is money, can be saved by doing so. This is something that is lost on a lot of people, especially those who never learned a CAD system, as well as those who may be somewhat "functional" with a CAD program, but don't really have the capability to successfully make real changes without losing much or most of the model while doing so, and there's a lot of these people out there.

GARY DYAL wrote:

Because this 'forum' is so poorly laid out, I'm gonna clarify some stuff here. (One cannot tell who reply's to what easily in here because there is no quoting... i.e. go visit a real forum or bbs, see how that works)

There is quoting - it's just not included by default and thus few people use it.

However, the branching thread format does my head in...

Recently my company has updated the file server and most of the problems I had with Creo have gone. I believe it was a timeout issue that was causing my unstable program running.

Creo issues or Windchill issues? We upgraded our i-net lines, and Windchill, while it still s#cks, at least doesn't crash as much. So, I think we had the issue you might have seen. I will say we never had that issue with Intralink because that software wasn't stupid enough to run things over the least stable system in the world - the internet....