Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MOST ANNOYING THINGS WITH CREO

Re: MOST ANNOYING THINGS WITH CREO

I couldnt agree more. I just spent an hour trying to create an axis datum...ya know, a line between two points? One would think you'd just click on two model points, and have an axis....oh no. It requires some assbackward reference to a plane, then a second reference, and an offset value, all in some totally non-intuitive pop-up menu. That spits out 5 errors for every thing i'm able to actually select.

Horrible software. I will be doing everything in my power to get my company to dump creo. It will be an uphill battle, since we are a fairly large company with hundreds of engineers...but someday. Someday.

An hour? Wow. That's amazing. I can see why you want to shift to something you already know.

But if anyone else needs to create an axis through two points, then this video will show that it takes a couple of seconds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnmYfhUytTs

Have you had any Creo training?

Dave Martin - dmartin@creowindchill.com - https://www.creowindchill.com

No...the next class from my VAR isnt for two more weeks...so Im hacking my way through it.

Plot twist: I'm coming off almost 20 years, 15,000+ hours. of Solidworks. I've been using it since v2000. Unlearning things is almost harder than learning them.

I did of course figure out how to make a 2 point axis, but its maddening that you cant just click the axis icon, then one point, then the other. Its a floating menu, and two control+clicks, and then the drop downs to choose "through". Literally double the number of clicks to achieve the same result. And Im finding that EVERY function in creo is the same way. The core functionality is the same, but its like they gave zero thought to the useability of the UI. 

I know I'll get used to it. Just like I could get out of a modern car and get used to driving a jalopy from the 70's. 

@applieddesign wrote:

No...the next class from my VAR isnt for two more weeks...so Im hacking my way through it.

Plot twist: I'm coming off almost 20 years, 15,000+ hours. of Solidworks. I've been using it since v2000. Unlearning things is almost harder than learning them.

I did of course figure out how to make a 2 point axis, but its maddening that you cant just click the axis icon, then one point, then the other. Its a floating menu, and two control+clicks, and then the drop downs to choose "through". Literally double the number of clicks to achieve the same result. And Im finding that EVERY function in creo is the same way. The core functionality is the same, but its like they gave zero thought to the useability of the UI. 

I know I'll get used to it. Just like I could get out of a modern car and get used to driving a jalopy from the 70's. 

If you drive Creo like SW it'll punish you, much like SW does when I try driving it like Creo.  Creo cares much more about what reference you are clicking and maintaining that relationship.  SW is made around building geometry fast and using the references that are convenient.  If things fail in SW, it's easy and fast to rebuild.  Creo is focused on maintaining your references and design intent, if you are more intentional about what you select, it will reward you will very robust models.  SW doesn't seem to reward that kind of diligence in my experience.  Neither is wrong, necessarily, just different modeling philosophies.

Give Creo time and try to adapt to its philosophy.  I've helped many a SW user adapt to Creo and most end up preferring it in the end.

As far as the axis creation goes, it's pick the axis button, pick point 1, press ctrl, pick point 2, middle mouse to accept. 4 clicks, 5 if you count the control button.  Aside from the requirement of using ctrl, it's hard to imagine taking clicks out of that sequence.  Not to say that there aren't extra clicks in the Creo interface, just not here.

BTW, I've got 20+ years on Creo with easily over 20K hours, probably over 30K if you assume 75% of my time in 21 years.  I've got 10+ years of SW too, but many fewer hours since the bulk of my work has been Creo,  but still probably 5K-7.5K hours. 

--
Doug Schaefer | Engineering Manager
Crow Works

I originally trained in Pro/E and then switched to SolidWorks in 2005. Priorities meant I completed my first project before there was time to send me on the training course. However, I successfully transferred my skills without a problem. After 12-13 years I have just taken a new job which required swapping back to Creo. I consider myself pretty CAD and IT proficient and didn't think it would be a problem. How wrong! It has been the most frustrating 3 months of my professional career. Tasks I know would only take 30 minutes in SolidWorks can take me double that. This time I felt I needed the training course and went armed with a long list of questions. I'm not sure I came away any better off.

Without a doubt it takes longer to create parts in Creo. The interface is not intuitive or consistent. It is so frustrating to know I could be more productive for my new employers. It's like trying to design with one arm tied behind my back. Like somebody else posted, I spend too much time every day on this forum and others trying to find out how to access some basic menu or function.

Today I wanted to sweep/blend between two non-planar profiles with a another compound profile in the middle. It took dozens of features!!! Boundary surfaces, merges & trims. I did it in SW afterwards in 2 minutes. 

People keep telling me it'll get better. I get paid to use Creo so I'll use Creo, but I think it'll always frustrate me to know there are better tools out there.

Man it cracks me up when SW users complain about creo.  Obviously, if you can't figure out how to do it in creo, they should go back to using SolidQuirks.

I have 20+ years in creo, have become an advanced user in NX, and can get around in SolidQuirks, and, quite simply, creo and NX have power S/Q simply does not have.  For instance, when my last company had me evaluate the 2, I gave the S/Q Application Engineer 10 different, difficult step files from things I'd done in creo....and the guy could not faithfully reproduce a SINGLE one.  Not.  One.  He tried 2 fudge a couple of the easier ones, but when he tried to pass them off as "done" in our next company meeting, I caught his glaring mistakes.  Then, I went on the S/Q forums (to make some trouble), to see what they were having issues with.  I easily solved every issue they had, and most of them were not do-able in S/Q.  The one that a high-level Dassault Application engineer was able to come close to solving, took 3 times the features, was nowhere near as robust, and was not anywhere as easy to modify.

https://forum.solidworks.com/thread/27547?start=1830&tstart=0

https://forum.solidworks.com/thread/105421

Then there's the fact they don't have trajpar, no spinal or toroidial bend, or graph features, and have a hard stop at 100 twists in a trajectory........

So, when people complain and claim it takes MORE features and time in creo than S/Q, I laugh.  Millenials these days....LOL

You can also first pick the two points, then click on the Datum Axis Tool.

That's 3 clicks (and holding down the CTRL-button when selecting the points). Should not take an hour ;-)

Quote:

"Man it cracks me up when SW users complain about creo.  Obviously, if you can't figure out how to do it in creo, they should go back to using SolidQuirks."

Why the personal insult? Why do you assume you are better than me or anyone else just because you have a different opinion?

You won't of course be interested to know that I have been working with CAD for over 20 years developing award winning products for a number of world renowned multinational companies. I am bl**dy good at what I do and take great pride in my work. Which is why Creo frustrates me. I probably know far more about SolidWorks than you know about Creo. Not sure what age has got to do with it either unless you're saying everyone younger than you with an opinion doesn't count.

I think we’re straying off topic. To bring it back…

Perhaps it depends on the type of product you develop? I work with injection moulded plastic components so lots of complex surfaces. Anyone any thoughts?

Hi Frank,

To calm down I invested the time to follow the links you put in your last post . The very final response summed everything up perfectly for me........

"Creo Pros over SW:

- Tree rebuilds faster

- more robust parametric relationships - and when they are not you have Reroute

- Very powerful patterning (because ref. features can be pattern and then used to pattern child features)

- not much has changed: an advantage (I'm not kidding, I was away from Proe for 9.5 years and it was easy to pick it back up because not much changed in 9.5 years - just the UI.)

- Autodimension in the sketcher (soft Dimensions) and automatically relationships in the sketcher (although occasionally they can bit you in the A**)

SW Pros over ProE:

- Multibody modeling... need I say more?

- 3D sketches. most of all the versatility you get with 2D sketch but can create 3D sketch geometry - and most importantly Splines. In pro, as you know, curves are not sketches, and are limited.

- Configurations, yes you have simplified reps - but not as powerful.

- Fill feature, SolidWork's Crown Jewel of surfacing features. ProE has the N-sided patch but it was crap 15 years ago and as far as I can see still is.

- Style Spline, more powerful than ISDX or Proe Curves combined.

- UI is built for quick conceptual work. I don't know quite how to state it but it seems for most features that I create in SW in one step, it takes about 5 to 8 steps to do the same thing in Pro.

- visualization of the 3D model and workspace is superior to Proe.

- Hole Wizard Toolbox. Pro has something like it but most Pro users I ask about it tell me not to bother with it (because it isn't worth the effort.) How Pro users live with out Hole wizard is astounding!

If your concern is the ability to create complex surface models, I would pick SW over ProE any day of the week. This was not always the case, but in the mid to late 2000's SW over took ProE in this department."